Upgrade for e3-1245v3

NotYetRated

Hey guys, I am currently looking to upgrade my rig's e3-1245v3. I have run in to processing power issues on the occasions that I am gaming, and a few Plex streams are transcoding. My rig currently has:

1x headless Windows Server 2008 VM for Blue Iris

2x VM's with graphics passed through, Windows 10, for HTPC/game streaming/light gaming

1x Linux VM, MineOS, for a small Minecraft server

Dockers for Plex, sab, Couchpotato, Sickrage

The MineOS vm is actually rather light use CPU wise, as there are not often more than 10 people on. Plex can get a bit intensive with 3-4 concurrent transcoding streams. Add in the HTPC use and I have run in to situations where CPU use is dragging the whole system down.

Contemplating a Xeon e5-2670v2, paired with something like an ASUS P9X79 WS. Both purchased from Ebay, I can snag a setup like that for just a few hundred bucks. Drop my current RAM in, probably add some of my spare as well, and all the rest of my peripherals.

Anyone have experience with this setup, motherboard, etc? See any issues? I know i will be losing some clock speed, but doubling the amount of cores. I am hoping this would give me enough performance boost to get through.

Hmm.  I don't have experience with either that processor or motherboaard, unfortunately.

I know that Plex is an effective multi-processor though, and with the usage you describe it sounds like a very good bet that your threads are getting starved for execution time so more cores is a very good idea.  On the other hand gaming typically likes faster cores and you'd be giving up a lot of clock speed... all clock speeds are not created equal, but that seems like a meaningful reduction.  Since you are buying used, I wonder if you'd be better off with dual CPUs running at a faster clock rate?

While the E5-2670v2 does indeed rate notably higher on PassMark than your 1245v3 [14983 vs. 9524], it's doing that with 10 cores vs. 4 for the 1245, so the per core performance is significantly higher with your current processor.  On the other hand, you'll be able to dedicate several cores to your gaming VM, so that will most likely offset the lower clock speed [2.5GHz vs. 3.4GHz] that you'll have with the E5.

One thought:  If I was going to move to an E5-based system, I'd definitely want a server chipset (Cxxx) and buffered RAM.    Yes, you'll have to buy more memory; but you'll also be able to add as much as you want with no concern for bus loading issues -- and gain ECC support in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

1x headless Windows Server 2008 VM for Blue Iris

How is it at running BlueIris  That is my plan after my upgrade.

Runs like a champ. I did have issues with my initial configuration. I had the Blue Iris clips going to a location on the array, caching to the cache drive(an SSD). It would keep the drives with data on them spun up 100% of the time, which I didn't quite like. So I ended up moving all Blue Iris clips to an "Unassigned Device" on a spare SSD. Currently have 5 cameras up and everything is butter smooth!

Archived