Web GUI down. SMB working.

Sh0dan

EDIT: Reset shadow and password file in config, and I can get in just fine. Will bump if this happens agains

Hi all,

Let's just start by saying that I have been using unRAID for a grand total of a week >_<

So I was doing some work tonight on the latest version of UnRAID 6. Everything had been working great and I was trying out some Dockers. Installed Plex, zoneminder (never got working with my IP cameras), and MineOS (just to try out for a bit). After installing all of those, and changing the default name from "tower" to "NAS", as well as changing the local IP from whatever my router assigned to "10.10.10.10", and performing a restart, I can no longer access the web GUI.

All of my SMB disk and user shares show up just fine. I don't think any of my dockers were set to run on startup. Additionally when I couldn't log in with root&password, tried searching the forums for advice. One thread said to delete the password file off of the unRAID boot USB. That didn't work either. HELP!

I'm sure this is something really easy, but I'm missing it. Is there a simple way to reset the Webserver/GUI aspect of unRAID without starting from scratch? I currently don't have access to the unRAID box's display (running headless), but I will later this week when a GPU comes in.

webGUI-.PNG.46c390435c14b688ffa005514e2040bd.PNG

smb.PNG.5155f8cf01721d44c5fb2c2f115dbe0b.PNG

Can you get in using PUTTY?  (PUTTY is a terminal emulation program that allows to to attach to your server as if you were using an attached monitor and keyboard. You can google for it.)  When you use PUTTY, you will be using a command line interface but it very handy for troubleshooting. 

Second item, please provide a description of the hardware used for your server.

Third item, did you make sure that nothing else has been assigned to the 10.10.10.10 address and is it within the address range of your router?  (You might also include the make and model of your router.)

EDIT:

Why is your screen capture showing that you are attempting to log into "unRAID SMU"? 

Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work right now, but last night I couldn't SSH into the server using PuTTY unfortunately. Nothing else is configured to that IP address (I double and triple checked this last night and tried turning off everything else on the network.)

Why is your screen capture showing that you are attempting to log into "unRAID SMU"? 

I have no idea! It never said "unRAID SMU" before when logging in to the web GUI, so that's what had me confused...

Hardware:

Phenom II X4 955 (Don't worry, i'll be upgrading to intel after I get this server in working order)

ASUS M5A97 R2

8GB RAM

5 HDDs + 128GB samsung cache

Router:

Linksys wrt1900ac

Router:

Linksys wrt1900ac

Looking at your Router manual, (if you google for the 'Linksys wrt1900ac  manual', you can download it directly from Linksys)  you should have assigned an address using 192.168.1.X where X is between 2 and 254.  Any number above 100 is probably safe unless you have a lot of devices attached to your router. 

I use the 10.10.10.x configuration because it's much easier. My whole network is setup that way. I assigned unRAID static IP, because I didn't want it jumping around on me.

When I get home, I'll try renaming the shadow file to "shadow.old", and the password to "password.old". I tried both of these independently, but not together. Found someone who had a similar issue on the forums.

Will post an update tonight

I use the 10.10.10.x configuration because it's much easier. My whole network is setup that way. I assigned unRAID static IP, because I didn't want it jumping around on me.

When I get home, I'll try renaming the shadow file to "shadow.old", and the password to "password.old". I tried both of these independently, but not together. Found someone who had a similar issue on the forums.

Will post an update tonight

I also use a fixed IP address.  After looking at that manual, you should probably read page 34 about how DHCP assigns addresses and in what range.  Their recommendation is to use a address in the upper end of the allowable range:  i.e., 192.168.1.250

I use 10.0.0.x on my network, and I have my router configured to DHCP those addresses based on MAC address so none of them move around and they are all maintained at the router so no chance of conflict and only one place to do the configuration instead of having to set up each separately on each computer. You can probably do the same with your router.

Whether this actually has any immediate relevance is questionable though. What is the IP address of the computer you are using to try to access unRAID? Have you tried to access the webUI by IP address instead of by name? One of your screenshots shows a share named flash. In that folder should be another folder called config. Post a screenshot of its contents. Also, there should be a file in that folder named go. It is a text file. Post its contents.

Thanks guys. The overwhelming support is much appreciated! :)

What is the IP address of the computer you are using to try to access unRAID? Have you tried to access the webUI by IP address instead of by name?

1) 10.10.10.156 I believe? It's assigned by the router

2) Yes. Tried both IP and hostname

3) Alright, I'll post it up when I get home from work and edit this post.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Reset shadow and password file in config, and I can get in just fine. Will bump if this happens agains

GO file contents:

-------------------------------------

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

--------------------------------------

Attached is a screenshot of my config folder:

config.PNG.4cbd0ba9aa775a70e6b8d51d2444452a.PNG

network.cfg

--------------------------

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP="no"