TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless Router/Access Point Help

krackato

I have an unRAID Tower that I just upgraded to unRAID 6.1.7 and it seems to be working great so far.  However, I am having one problem that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

Currently I have the unRAID Tower in my bedroom and a uBee Cable Modem/Router (all-in-one unit from the cable company) is the living room.

Previously I had run a very long ethernet cable from the unRAID Tower to the cable modem/router but I can no longer easily do that.

So I currently have the unRAID tower hooked up to a spare wireless router that I haven't used in a while that I got from Amazon, the TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router.

TP-Link TL-WR841N at Amazon  (non-referral)

While not the fastest router, it's been working fine when I wirelessly connect to it with my laptop.

However, I cannot browse the internet because the TP-Link router is in my bedroom and it's not connected to the Cable Modem/Router in my living room.

I have been able to bridge/connect these devices and setup the TP-Link as a Wifi extender using the tutorial here - http://scottyzone.com/2014/12/28/setup-tp-link-tl-wr841n-as-a-wi-fi-extender/

While that works and I can be wirelessly connected to the TP-Link router and browse the internet, I cannot seem to access my unRAID tower anymore.

Is there anyway to have the TP-Link router connected to the unRAID tower, wirelessly connected to the router as an extender so I can browse the internet, and be able to access my unRAID tower all at the same time?

I ran into this when I added a TP-Link to my setup. The fix for me was to turn off the NAT server function of the TP-LINK and let the ISP router (FIOS modem) handle the allocation of IP addresses within my network  (google to find specifics on what to do, I don't remember). Once I did that everybody could see each other again. Makes my expensive wireless router no smarter than an access point but it works. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update how I got the TP-Link TL-WR841N working with my unRAID setup. I'm currently not using this setup and instead using a Powerline solution - http://amzn.to/1n4HQgc

But if you have this router and want to make it work, here's how I did it.

Get the TP-Link TL-WR841N Router working with unRAID

- Plug the router into unRAID

- Connect to the Router with the MacBook Pro via ethernet

- Go to 192.168.0.1

- Login into the router

- Click Wireless

- Go to Wireless Settings

- Change the Wireless Network Name (Whatever you want)

- Enable WDS Bridging

- Click "Survey"

- Select the Wifi network that has internet

- Type in the password

- Save

- Click Wireless Security

- Type in a password (whatever you want)

- Click Save

- Click Network

- Click LAN

- Type in an IP Address for the TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless Router - 192.168.0.2 works

- Click Save

- Click DHCP

- Click DHCP Settings

- Click Disable

- Click Save

- Click System Tools

- Click Reboot

- Wait

-------

These are the steps I used to make this setup work. I was able to access the internet and my unRAID Server through wireless when I was connected to my main wireless router due to enabling WDS Bridging and turning off DHCP.