HDHomeRun

squirrellydw

Can someone explain to me how HDHomeRun works?  I have Local TV Channels only and I would like to integrate into Kodi.  How can I view my local TV channels on Kodi using HDHomeRun when nothing connects to the computer? 

Are there any fees that go with using it? 

Is there a guide or do I need to using some other software, I have a Mac and a Raspberry Pi2 on my TVs.

Thanks

I have an HDHomerun, its for getting free channels over the air, you need to connect it to either an internal or external antennae. The box itself plugs into your network, there is an addon in Kodi you can install that will allow you to play the channels your antennae picks up on your tv or computer or whatever you use with Kodi. The HDHomerun also has its own software that you can install on your computer to view the channels your antennae picks up.

Ok so no monthly free or anything? 

So since I pay for local channels all I need to do is plug the cable in the back and I should get the same stuff since they are all unecrypted right. 

If I buy the Prime version that has 3 tuners can I watch 3 different channels on 3 different tvs?

The Prime is a cable-card tuner.  If you're using a box from your cable company, then you'll likely need the Prime, and will need a cable-card for it (an "M" card).    This will likely cost you $1.50 - $3 or so/month from your cable company.  Once you've paired the card with the Homerun Prime, you can watch the 3 channels on any computer on your network -- NOT directly on a TV.

The Homerun Connect supports ATSC inputs (i.e. an antenna) and can receive signals being broadcast from your local stations.

Right but it also can receive unencrypted cable channels since it has a QAM tuner I thought.  So I shouldn't need a cable card.

edit....just ordered the Connect with 2 tuners.  So what happens if I have 3 or 4 TVs and they all try and watch something different?  I know I can use more then one HDHomeRun but didn't know what happened if I only have one and try to watch something on 3 TVs.

Basically HDHRs are like the tuners in your TV expect for the fact that they transport the content over your network when a call is made from a server (i.e. TVH) or client (i.e. Kodi standalone or via TVH).  So, HDHR has two connections:  coax for the cable from your cable company or antenna and ethernet to connect to your network.

I have 2 HDHRs and both are fed via an antenna in my attic to receive OTA channels.

Cable company can suck it and I keep my $130/month!  :)

John

Archived