Does a SSD (as cache) count against storage device limit of UnRAID license

Since you are researching mobos - this is pretty much why the Supermicro X10-SL7-F-O is used in LT's builds (at least it used to be). The Supermicro X10-SL7-F-O  is pretty much the reference "go to" board. 8 SAS Ports and 6 SATA Ports consumes an entire PLUS License without needing any expansion cards. It is easily expanded with several different controller cards for the remaining ports required by the Pro license.  Xeon processor, ECC Ram support and IPMI all in one package. This is likely my next upgrade.

Something to consider is that even devices attached via USB in Unassigned Devices plugin or the Preclear plugin also count. I was on the last "freebie - beta" Unraid build that supported 3 devices and I just wanted to Preclear a new disk - and I couldn't. Unraid didn't "see it". Unassigned Devices also didn't report a USB device that was plugged in.  As soon as I upgraded and installed a license - everything works.

I think it will be counted as a "mountable" device. I used to have a DVD ROM in my build, but I removed it - that was when I was rocking the "freebie" Unraid and I was at the maximum devices allowed just in data drives and parity. I know it was recognized in the logfile, but it didn't show up anywhere in the UI. I'll put it this way - I don't see why it WOULDN'T count - it consumes a port and reports its' status when polled. Perhaps you should consider using Unassigned Devices to provide a CD/DVD/ROM device only when you need one? Otherwise, it will permanently count as a drive/device.

If I were not using the device elsewhere, I would hook it up and confirm it, since I am already running a Plus license and Unassigned Devices...I should see it right off. I can insert a really old CD-Rom device via a USB interface and see what unraid and Unassigned Devices makes of it. I'll let you know.

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2016 at 11:34 PM, methanoid said:

What about CD/DVD? I might want to pass an actual device to my Windows VM rather than an ISO image. Does that count as one of my 12 "storage devices"?

I know this is a rather old thread. Yet for others having same needs, I would like to give a possible solution for this. If you pass through an USB controller. Not sure if it is possible with one port, as I believe any and every objects in an IOMMU group needs to be passed through, all at once. But if you manage to pass through an USB port you can attach a USB optical drive or just drive to a VM. I cant see why it wouldn't work. As it should not be any different than my setup, where I pass through my keyboard and mouse to my Windows.