Intel Pro/1000 PT Recognition Issues

mboston

Moving over from Windows Server 2012 R2 and have a Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad port Bypass Server Adapter. I am able to NIC team on windows server (and on all my other machines running the same NIC), and get almost 500 mb/s local network file transfer speed using SMB. Decided to give unRaid a shot, threw in USB and booted it up. NIC not showing up in ifconfig, even when loading the driver with modprobe (both e1000 and e1000e). I can ping 127.0.0.1 successfully. When looking at the pci report from the diagnostics run, you can see that the card is being detected. I know this card can work, have seen other members talk about using it on the forums, just positive I have not configured something correctly. Diagnostics report attached, thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20160214-0618.zip

UPDATE: Upon looking at the syslog, I notice that the NIC is not being initialized. By this point in time I switched out network cards and moved it to different PCI slots. It shows up though being detected and connected to the mobo when using ispci -nn. Also made some changes to my network settings. I am now getting an IP assigned to when I bridge with STP turned off and/or bond with mode 4. I can successfully ping both the local and the assigned IP. Another thing I noticed is that there are no packets being received but is transmitting very small packets on the assigned IP when bridge and/or bonding is on. I attached a new diagnostics. Thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20160215-0135.zip

Interesting information. Not having SMB 3.0 does not bother me, since I do have Linux machines on the network, and knowing that future versions of samba is working to support it is fine with me. The main reason I would like to switch to unRaid is because it seams to handle different drive sizes much easier than pooling and creating virtual drives in Windows Server. I could try and use the onboard nic but it is a Realtek and have noticed the quality of the connection is not that great compared to the Intel ones I have. My main goal is trying to get one of the Ethernet ports on the nic to connect to the network. I am working getting a different mother board in to see if that is the problem. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived