We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Would PFSense work in a VM on Unraid?

EMKO

I am thinking it would be nice to just use one machine to do what two are doing right now, would pfsense be able to manage Unraids connection as well?

For example if i have dockers that download/use the internet on Unraid server and a VM of pfsense would pfsense be able to do say do QOS on Unraid? or just the other lan connections?

Would i need to have 3 Ethernet ports? have 2 going to a switch so i can still access Unraid before pfsense goes up? and one for WAN? so before Pfsense goes up Unraid would have lan connection but no internet access untill PFsense is up?

or this it be done with 2 ports?

is there a guide for doing something like this?

There are a few posts on this forum about pfsense if you take a look in the KVM forum and search for pfsense it should throw them up.

if you can do one on vmware workstation or virtual-box, easy peasy. Just remember to download the virt iso.

Thanks guys, hopefully it all works out

if you can do one on vmware workstation or virtual-box, easy peasy. Just remember to download the virt iso.

sorry stupid question what is a virt iso and where do i get one for pfsense? i just installed a vm on unraid to see and its working just need to get the NIC

sorry stupid question what is a virt iso and where do i get one for pfsense? i just installed a vm on unraid to see and its working just need to get the NIC

I don't think you need it for pfsense only windows machines.

I don't think you need it for pfsense only windows machines.

CHBMB is probably right since pfsense is bsd  based.

Archived