Device is disabled, Contents Emulated

cr0nis

Hi Everyone,

I recently began having issues with on of the drives in my unraid setup. I currently have 5 data sata drives, 1 sata parity drive and an older ide cache drive. within the last 2 weeks i noted that my second drive is listed with the red x next to it. After reading many posts I've tried a few things

• Stop the array
  • change the bad drive to not installed
  • [restart array
  • stop array
  • change he disk to the disabled drive
  • start array
  • let the rebuild complete

The rebuild gets to 20-25% and stops. I have also replaced the sata cable, moved the hdd off the motherboard and onto a pci sata card and still no luck.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

syslog.txt

ST2000DM001-9YN164_S1E0XTBM-20160225-1916.txt

The SMART you posted is showing the disk isn't really responding.

Before attempting to rebuild onto the same disk that failed, you really should have some reason to believe that the disk is still good.

Do you have another disk you can use to rebuild?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete diagnostics zip.

For v6 it is very much preferred that you always post the complete diagnostics zip. This contains the syslog, SMART for all drives, and lots of other useful information that will save everyone from having to ask for it a little at a time.

disk3

Feb 25 10:20:13 Tower kernel: md: import disk3: [8,80] (sdf) ST2000DM001-9YN164_Z1E0MSVX size: 1953514552

Serial Number:    Z1E0MSVX
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       1072

Much higher than I would like but none pending or uncorrectable. Keep an eye on this one.

cache

Feb 25 10:20:13 Tower emhttp: ST3200822A_3LJ17LE5 (sdh) 195360984
Feb 25 10:20:13 Tower emhttp: import 24 cache device: sdh

Serial Number:    3LJ17LE5
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       6
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       2
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       2

Fortunately this one won't be involved in the rebuild but should probably be precleared later to see if you can get the pending to zero.

Isn't unRAID giving you any SMART status indication on the dashboard about these other disks?

All of my drives were re-purposed out of external hdd enclosures which i used for a hdd swap before i built the unraid server. Everything was spare parts but based on the success of the server i think i just might built for purpose now so i can get decent Plex transcoding while keeping temps at bay.

I ordered a WD Red 2tb drive to make it a straight forward swap & rebuild. With the high amount of writes its running 12-20 degrees C less than all other drives. The Mrs has given me the thumbs up tp begin replacing the other drives so hopefully that helps with my overall heat issue.