Non-Web GUI?

dieselixi

Maybe in unraid 6.2 soon™ edition.

Is there actual reason to think that? I've not seen anything suggesting that unraid was going to get an desktop environment.

No official statements, but there were a couple scenes in the Linus gamer videos that seemed to show a local gui login, and the tag "gui" was included (possibly by accident) in some example initialization files posted by jonp a little while back.

Maybe in unraid 6.2 soon™ edition.

Is there actual reason to think that? I've not seen anything suggesting that unraid was going to get an desktop environment.

No official statements, but there were a couple scenes in the Linus gamer videos that seemed to show a local gui login, and the tag "gui" was included (possibly by accident) in some example initialization files posted by jonp a little while back.

Well that's pretty interesting... seems like a waste of resources, but interesting.

I'd assume this functionality is how they solved the request of "how do I start a non running VM easily, without using another device to access the WebUI"

I typically use my phone, as I'm now "all in" with the Server doing it all.

It would also make sense why OVMF is now the recommended default, as you lose console output with a VM using SeaBIOS (this will seriously be a pain to switch all (my/SeaBIOS) Windows VM's to!).

It's not a waste of resources if you combine your NAS and desktop and don't want or don't have another machine to access the webui from.  Hopefully it will be optional though...

It had better be optional. Booting to a desktop environment when you don't need it would be pretty annoying to me.

Well that's pretty interesting... seems like a waste of resources, but interesting.

I would love it if they had just enough graphics support to run a browser rather than a full Linux desktop.  As well as allowing a directly attached monitor to run the unRAID GUI it would also allow VM's to be run on that monitor (via noVNC) for machines that do not support hardware pass-through of a GPU.

It's not a waste of resources if you combine your NAS and desktop and don't want or don't have another machine to access the webui from.  Hopefully it will be optional though...

It had better be optional. Booting to a desktop environment when you don't need it would be pretty annoying to me.

The boot config files that jonp (accidentally?) posted seem to show it as a boot option, like memtest. If that's the case, you could easily set it to boot as it does now, to the console. Not sure why it would be annoying to you though. If you run headless most of the time, you'd never know, and if you have a local console set up, why would it be more annoying to boot to a gui password instead of a text password?

The boot config files that jonp (accidentally?) posted seem to show it as a boot option, like memtest. If that's the case, you could easily set it to boot as it does now, to the console. Not sure why it would be annoying to you though. If you run headless most of the time, you'd never know, and if you have a local console set up, why would it be more annoying to boot to a gui password instead of a text password?

Because if you don't need a desktop, having a desktop is a waste of resources.

Archived