Any 2TB Hitachi Saturn users?

batfink

I've looked at them to, very nice price. However Sata 2 is standard disabled you have to use the feature tool that you can find on their website. So keep that in mind

OK, found the "feature tool" (user guide is here):

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_215.pdf

So, without using the feature tool the drive will be restricted to 1.5Gb/s but will still work out-of-the-box??

Cheers

I just ordered 2 of the 2TB drives that were going on with the Dell deal.  I have the drives preclearing right now and they seem to be running just fine.

It is interesting to see this SATA1 speed thing instead of SATA2, and it is the first time I have heard of it.  I will have to look into it more.

I read through the Feature Tool users guide that was post (thanks by the way), and might try to get this fixed.  I don't have a CD nor Floppy drive in my server were the drives are currently plugged in so it might be more of a pain then it is worth to mes with.

If I decide to do it I will report back on how it goes.  I wish there was a way to run this from a USB flash drive... there might be... I will look into that also.

I took one of my drives out and threw it in my desktop to attempt the fix. Turns out the 3.0Gb/s setting was already in place. I didn't bother checking the rest after that since I figured there was a good chance they all already had it set. What I was more interested in was the APM setting... does anyone know if we were to tweak that down a bit if we could get some more quiet and cool running drives?

I just took mine out and threw them in a desktop to run the Feature Tool...

Like Drealit said, they are already set to 3.0 Gbps...(I wish I'd read his post BEFORE I started the process :P )

I haven't noticed that they run any louder or less efficient than the 1.5 TB Seagates...I don't really see any need to set enable the APM features...

Zithras

I'd love to get these drives to a power usage level that is similar to the WD GP drives but I doubt it's possible.

Can't cheat physics.  Spinning faster = more power, spinning slower = less power.  it is mostly the motor involved... The electronics involved are largely the same in most drives.

I'd love to get these drives to a power usage level that is similar to the WD GP drives but I doubt it's possible.

Can't cheat physics.   Spinning faster = more power, spinning slower = less power.  it is mostly the motor involved... The electronics involved are largely the same in most drives.

Well what I meant was can I use the Hitachi Feature Tool to adjust the APM value to make the discs spin slower thereby putting out less noise, heat, and using less energy.

• 1 year later...

Archived