WebGUI freezes after changing root password

My server is a bone stock HP N40L (2GB RAM, 250GB HDD formatted as XFS) running the trial version of UnRAID 6.1.9. My laptop is a Macbook Air running OS X El Capitan.

I've been following the UnRAID "Get Started" video series and have successfully accessed the webgui and installed the temporary license. When I try to change the root password, the text "Restarting SMB..." appears at the bottom and the webgui freezes. The server still responds via ssh (requiring the updated password!), so I captured the diagnostics and powered down the server.

Everything else seems to work fine if I skip changing the root password. I also tried UnRAID 6.1.8 and 6.2.0 beta 21, but both exhibited the same behavior. Any ideas?

tower-diagnostics-20160507-2048.zip

The log I posted was with my drive formatted using OS X's disk utility. The only relevant format option was MS-DOS (FAT), as shown in Lime-Tech's video. The video used an older version of disk utility and didn't show which "scheme" to use, but based on searching the forums I used "Master Boot Record."

To double-check, I found a laptop running Windows 7 and reformatted the drive by setting the file system to "FAT32 (Default)," allocation unit size to "4096 bytes," volume label as "UNRAID" and left "Quick Format" checked. I extracted UnRAID 6.1.9 to the flash drive, ran the make_bootable batch file as administrator and still ran into the same webgui freeze problem. I captured the log again.

To be thorough, I reformatted with "Quick Format" unchecked. Then I tried with another USB stick. The webgui problem persisted. What's so confusing is that I've gotten UnRAID 6.1.9 running on this machine when I last tested it a few months ago...  :-\

EDIT: I do have an Airport Time Capsule serving files via SMB on the network. I wonder if that's causing a conflict?

tower-diagnostics-20160507-2316.zip

After a fresh re-install, I set my sole 250GB disk as "disk 1," made sure "user shares" was enabled under global settings and started the array. Changing the root password again caused the webgui to freeze. I captured the log and included it as an attachment. The server seems to be fully functional outside of changing the root password, but I don't want to commit data to it until it's working 100%.

Thinking an SMB conflict might be an issue, I did another fresh re-install and tried disabling SMB and enabling NFS in the settings menu. Changing the root password causes the text "shutting down SMB... starting NFS..." to display at the bottom before the webgui freezes.

Could this possibly be caused by a loose connection, incorrect BIOS setting or something equally drastic (zapped circuits?)? I doubt it's a kernel/UnRAID issue since the gen. 7 microservers are somewhat popular. Thanks for the help. I'm running out of ideas...  :-[

tower-diagnostics-20160508-0251.zip

I suspect that the system on which you are running your browser has cached the root credentials for your Unraid server and is not using the corrects password once you change the root password on your Unraid server.    You need to delete the cached credentials for your Unraid server on your local system to make it ask for the new password when it connects to Unraid

I may have hit another snag...

I can access the webgui log-in on a Win 7 machine using http://tower, but I can't on OS X using tower.local. However, I can access the webgui log-in using the IP address.

Am I missing something about how OS X/Safari caches credentials? Everything in Safari Preferences -> Passwords related to UnRAID has been deleted.

EDIT: Search yielded another user with the same issue. And another.