Is fibre channel supported?

Marco2G

Hello everyone

I'm in the process of planning my server environment based on unRAID. At the moment I have four disks in Windows software RAID10. This is, obviously, not going to cut it longterm.

Now I can get an old EMC Clariion diskshelf pretty cheaply and since the shelf will, without a control unit, pass through the disk, I thought that might be interesting for use with unRAID.

Now the question remains which, if any, HBA to use in the box. Is it possible to install qlogic HBA drivers on unRAID? I expect at that point, de disks would appear as local disks and be available to unRAID without problem.

Any thoughts?

Unraid is not for the enterprise nor is it for enterprise hardware, so I would agree, if that is what you are after, Unraid is not for you.

The lack of replies do not reflect the lack of support on this board, but simply that very few people are attempting what you are attempting with the hardware you are using with Unraid.

unRAID is also mainly not for me because the underlying Linux seems to be a castrated Slackware. No rpm, no make... there's one article about running unRAID on a full Slack that was for 4.4.

I expect I would run into the same issues if I wanted to use the internal drives of a HP DL380 G6 server. (and do excuse me for having access to old server hardware... how dare I...)

What really pisses me off is not that it's "not meant" to do what I want it to do but the fact that a full fledged Linux in fact could use FC LUNs. I mean seriously, just allow me to install the driver and unRAID could use the disks pretty much natively, I'd expect. The qla2xxx driver is far from being uncommon on Linux.

Too bad FreeNAS is similarly unhelpful.

Sure but you are choosing to use distros that have been customized by said companies to serve their purposes, you can't really criticize them for that, you are more than welcome to go and use the latest release of slackware to do what you want, minus the nice customizations that Lime-Tech has baked into their 'castrated' version of slackware. It would be nice if we could have our cake and eat it too, but that simply isn't the case.

Sure but you are choosing to use distros that have been customized by said companies to serve their purposes, you can't really criticize them for that, you are more than welcome to go and use the latest release of slackware to do what you want, minus the nice customizations that Lime-Tech has baked into their 'castrated' version of slackware. It would be nice if we could have our cake and eat it too, but that simply isn't the case.

If there was a "Like button" i would have press it, for me one of the reason i chose unraid was because it could virtually use any hardware and any size drive and have a pretty good NAS. I believe Linus has a rig that is borderline Enterprise. If that pans out then we will likely see a personal unraid and enterprise unraid. much like freenas and truenas.

And here we go with the apologists.

It's like if Volvo put the backseats down on one of their models, welded them into that position and added self-driving and now, upon asking to have a self-driven five-seater and which welding spots I'd have to cut through, some schlub on the net tells me I'm obviously looking at the wrong product.

Fuck me, two decades and the Linux nerds are still at it with the same haughty bullshit.

Using slackware and not allowing you to just install any driver etc that you see fit is not an uncommon situation.

Since every module or driver installed has the ability to interfere without the basic nas duties or cause stability issues limetech has chosen right or wrong to control which drivers are part of the system.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Archived