How to share bd-rom as unassigned drive

I am evaluating Unraid v6 as the system for my new raid. (still in trial period)

So far all the raid and pooling features are working well as expected. So here is my question.

i have a sata blu ray burner drive and I am wondering if it is possible to add it as an unassigned drive and share it over network.

I am thinking it would be good use of this hardware, otherwise i dont have any other system to read blurays/dvds.

worst case scenario I will have to buy an external enclosure like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-5-25-Inch-Enclosure-Interface-NST-530S3-BK/dp/B0093HKFYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466979785&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+enclosure+for+dvd+drive

appreciate any help / advice.

I don't think UD will do what you are thinking. It can only share iso files, not the drive.

You can passthrough a Bluray drive to a VM through its scsi bus (and potentially able to write discs). However, it's exclusively used by a single VM.

The workaround would be to use that VM to rip the Bluray into iso files and put the iso files on UD.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think UD will do what you are thinking. It can only share iso files, not the drive.

You can passthrough a Bluray drive to a VM through its scsi bus (and potentially able to write discs). However, it's exclusively used by a single VM.

The workaround would be to use that VM to rip the Bluray into iso files and put the iso files on UD.

Testdasi - your idea is the closest to what i need. it would allow me to burn / access bluray through the VM when the situation demands. I will try this let you know how it works.

Still can't think of a solution to share the BD drive itself over the network so that all computers can access the bluray (most laptop these days dont have any optical drives) - so i think this could be a valuable feature.

tks.