Moving files with Windows 10 Explorer / Network

veritas2884

I can browse and see all of my user shares via Windows' Network and Explorer interface. My question/issue comes when I try to move a file. If I Putty into my Unraid box and the move command to move a folder it is done instantly, like a copy and paste in Windows on the same drive would behave.

However, if I use Windows explorer on my Win10 Pro box it seems like the file is being moved from the Unraid Box to my Win10 Box temporary via my network and then back to folder that was the target on Unraid. My reasoning behind this is that an 8GIG file takes about 9 mins to complete a move via Windows Explorer.

Is there any way to use a GUI like Win Explorer to move files around on my Unraid box that behaves like a native command prompt move command would?

Thanks for any help!

I can browse and see all of my user shares via Windows' Network and Explorer interface. My question/issue comes when I try to move a file. If I Putty into my Unraid box and the move command to move a folder it is done instantly, like a copy and paste in Windows on the same drive would behave.

However, if I use Windows explorer on my Win10 Pro box it seems like the file is being moved from the Unraid Box to my Win10 Box temporary via my network and then back to folder that was the target on Unraid. My reasoning behind this is that an 8GIG file takes about 9 mins to complete a move via Windows Explorer.

Is there any way to use a GUI like Win Explorer to move files around on my Unraid box that behaves like a native command prompt move command would?

Thanks for any help!

Perfectly normal, and is not a Windows issue, and affects all OS's equally.  You're moving from one mount point to another, and the system doesn't realize that it can just rename the file to another share.

(Using MC the same would happen if you moved from one share to another).

You can export disk shares if you like, but then you have to be careful not to move from a disk share to a user share as you will then corrupt the file (same thing would happen if you did the same operation in MC)

If you're using mc over ssh, keep in mind that if you terminate the connection, mc will terminate as well. If you somehow lose connection (wifi, etc.) it will also terminate.

So if you're doing large transfers, I would recommend doing it in "screen". That way even if you're disconnected, mc will remain active within the screen session

Archived