Access plex outside of network - port forwarding/ public IP not available

Hello -

First off - thanks to this community admins and members - everyone here is so helpful and responsive.

So here's the problem:

My ISP does not allow any port forwarding nor does it offer static/public IPs on request or for payment. I believe the ISP has setup a double NAT (i say that because I can see that my router is assigned a WAN IP such as 172.10.xx.xx where as when I check whatismyipaddress i see an IP such as 209.34.xx.xx)

I run a plex docker on my unraid box. It works amazingly well with all the client devices within the home network. But I am unable to access it outside of the network, as you can guess.

Now FYI - I am able to access the windows devices from outside of the network using Hamachi. (created a hamachi mesh network and added the windows laptop and my smartphone as clients - so the smartphone is able to access the windows laptop from outside home network)

I was looking for a similar setup with hamachi for unraid box, did not find any plugin / docker for hamachi in v6.

So is there any solution for this problem. ( i really hate this ISP, but i have no other choice)

appreciate the help.

Hello -

First off - thanks to this community admins and members - everyone here is so helpful and responsive.

So here's the problem:

My ISP does not allow any port forwarding nor does it offer static/public IPs on request or for payment. I believe the ISP has setup a double NAT (i say that because I can see that my router is assigned a WAN IP such as 172.10.xx.xx where as when I check whatismyipaddress i see an IP such as 209.34.xx.xx)

I run a plex docker on my unraid box. It works amazingly well with all the client devices within the home network. But I am unable to access it outside of the network, as you can guess.

Now FYI - I am able to access the windows devices from outside of the network using Hamachi. (created a hamachi mesh network and added the windows laptop and my smartphone as clients - so the smartphone is able to access the windows laptop from outside home network)

I was looking for a similar setup with hamachi for unraid box, did not find any plugin / docker for hamachi in v6.

So is there any solution for this problem. ( i really hate this ISP, but i have no other choice)

appreciate the help.

are you sure they are using a double NAT, could be your modem is not in bridge mode. Hamachi/teamviewer/logmein works because it  tell the app to open a random virtual port to allow connection (or something like that).

Could you tunnel your entire internet connection through a VPN from your router?

This is a good question...I have a subscription of PIA..I think my Asus router supports Openvpn as well. Will have to give this a shot...will report back.

Hello -

So here's the problem:

appreciate the help.

are you sure they are using a double NAT, could be your modem is not in bridge mode. Hamachi/teamviewer/logmein works because it  tell the app to open a random virtual port to allow connection (or something like that).

i think it is a double NAT.

i dont have a modem...the ISP has provided an access point device in the apartment. which provides wifi coverage and ethernet ports. i dont have login access to this access point so i can't change the routing mode to bridge.

If i connect directly to this access point , my computers gets an IP such as 172.10.xxxx where as if I check whatismyipaddress - the public IP is 209.34.xx.xx. (there is no upnp enabled as well)

the wifi from this access point sucks a**...so I have connected my own 802.11n dual band wifi router  to it. My router gets 172.10.xxxx on the wan side and then my router assigns 192.168.xx.xx to my computers.

This is my understanding of a double NAT.

Could you tunnel your entire internet connection through a VPN from your router?

This is a good question...I have a subscription of PIA..I think my Asus router supports Openvpn as well. Will have to give this a shot...will report back.

Hello -

So here's the problem:

appreciate the help.

i think it is a double NAT.

i dont have a modem...the ISP has provided an access point device in the apartment. which provides wifi coverage and ethernet ports. i dont have login access to this access point so i can't change the routing mode to bridge.

If i connect directly to this access point , my computers gets an IP such as 172.10.xxxx where as if I check whatismyipaddress - the public IP is 209.34.xx.xx. (there is no upnp enabled as well)

the wifi from this access point sucks a**...so I have connected my own 802.11n dual band wifi router  to it. My router gets 172.10.xxxx on the wan side and then my router assigns 192.168.xx.xx to my computers.

This is my understanding of a double NAT.

Do you use the ISP provided wifi device for all your computers/devices, or do you have a separate wifi router that is plugged into the ISP provided box?  If just using the provided equipment, most likely not double NAT.  You would need to call and ask for login info to the device if that info is not already provided on the back or bottom of the device. You then would set up a port forward for Plex.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Gentlemen - that is good input. I will try that. thank you.

@unevent - I have tried asking them for the login details for that ISP's wifi device and they have declined to provide. which is one of the reasons i hate this ISP, they want to control everything.