Windows 10 Pro RTM 14393.5 "Hyper-V Cannot be installed by firmware"

kCaRhC

unRAID Server?unRAIDServer-6.2.0-rc3-x86_64.zip

Guest OS?Windows 10 Pro RTM 14393.5

When I go into the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" the box to select Hyper-V platform, it is grayed out and when I hover "Hyper-V Cannot be installed: Virtualization is disabled in the firmware" Can I enable it and how?

I have already set VM option "Hyper-V = yes"

other options:

BIOS = OVMF

Machine = i440fx-2.5

###############

<features>

<acpi/>

<apic/>

<hyperv>

<relaxed state='on'/>

<vapic state='on'/>

<spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>

<vendor id='none'/>

</hyperv>

</features>

###############

I have already set VM option "Hyper-V = yes"

This just tells the VM that it is a Virtual Machine. It is possible to enable Hyper-V inside a virtual machine by hiding that windows is inside a vm (setting "Hyper-V" to "no" isn't enough)

I am not 100% sure if this works but you can try to add/change this in the VM config:

<features>
  <kvm>
    <hidden state='on'/>
  </kvm>
  <vmport state='off'/>
</features>

Source: https://devopsjedi.com/index.php/2015/09/04/nesting-esxi-6-0-on-kvm/

And enable nested virtualization (You only have to do this if you are on the stable version of unraid, on the beta version it is automatically enabled)

NOTE:  I only tested this with Intel, but it should work with AMD as well.  Please make sure you have all VMs stopped (as well as VM manager) before doing this.

First, from command line, type the following:

modprobe -r kvm_intel

Then type this:

modprobe kvm_intel nested=1

DONE!  Now go install another hypervisor as a VM on unRAID!

If you have an AMD-based CPU and want to try this, just replace the word "intel" with "amd" in the commands above and it should work.

But its a lot easier to use VMware Player/Workstation or VirtualBox (You have to enable nested virtualization for this as well). VirtualBox will work completely fine but VMware will show an error message when trying to launch a vm when it detects that its running inside a virtual machine, to fix this you have to add this to the config of every vm you want to start on that machine:

vmx.allowNested = TRUE

If you have deployed Windows 10 as a virtual machine, you can't then expect to enable virtualization inside your virtual machine, it doesn't work that way, the OS already senses its a virtual machine and so Hyper-V is disabled.

If the Nested Virtualization not enabled, the Windows 10 will show "Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running", now it shows "Hyper-V Cannot be installed: Virtualization is disabled in the firmware", so i think sth about settings in BIOS, but I don't known how to enabled it.

My homelab running on esxi 6.0U2, Windows 10 Pro 14393.5 is one of the guest os that can use hyper-v.

Hyper-V doesen't detect that it is running inside a VM anymore but it still doesn't detect that virtualization is enabled.

We have to find something like this in VMware for QEMU/KVM

I think that your post is on VMware Workstation, on my ESXi 6.0U2 that you can open it like this

Hyper-V_in_ESXi.png.dbc7ef2f104a6fc5dd549ed09f0b6f85.png

Hyper-V doesen't detect that it is running inside a VM anymore but it still doesn't detect that virtualization is enabled.

I think that your post is on VMware Workstation, on my ESXi 6.0U2 that you can open it like this

I think they should be the same settings (not 100% sure through).

In the config file you can add

vhv.enable = “TRUE”
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = “FALSE”

as well

Source: http://www.derekseaman.com/2014/06/nesting-hyper-v-2012-r2-esxi-5-5.html

vhv.enable = “TRUE”

as well

Source: http://www.derekseaman.com/2014/06/nesting-hyper-v-2012-r2-esxi-5-5.html

I just want uses Windows 10 Hyper-v on my unRAID now, not others VM Host. What should I do, make unRAID kvm to get Hyper-V ok.

vhv.enable = “TRUE”

as well

I just want uses Windows 10 Hyper-v on my unRAID now, not others VM Host. What should I do, make unRAID kvm to get Hyper-V ok.

TBH i dont think it is possible right now, i think that it is even possible that microsoft is actively blocking hyper-v from running inside a vm. Until someone finds a way to run hyper-v inside qemu/kvm you will have to use a different hypervisor like VirtualBox or VMware (Don't forget to allow nested virtualization).

vhv.enable = “TRUE”

as well

TBH i dont think it is possible right now, i think that it is even possible that microsoft is actively blocking hyper-v from running inside a vm. Until someone finds a way to run hyper-v inside qemu/kvm you will have to use a different hypervisor like VirtualBox or VMware (Don't forget to allow nested virtualization).

#Nested in unRAID is already Enabled;

"Hyper-V Cannot be installed: Virtualization is disabled in the firmware"

I think this msg means it can enable Hyper-V, but disabled in the firmware, maybe can enabled to use Hyper-V.

vhv.enable = “TRUE”

as well

#Nested in unRAID is already Enabled;

"Hyper-V Cannot be installed: Virtualization is disabled in the firmware"

I think this msg means it can enable Hyper-V, but disabled in the firmware, maybe can enabled to use Hyper-V.

Virtualization is enabled but Hyper-V doesn't detect it.

To me, nested virtualization means installing Esxi inside of Esxi. What you are trying to do, is enable Hyper-v inside a windows 10 virtual machine, not the same thing as nested virtualization. But I could be wrong.

The only difference is that ESXi is a Type 1 and Hyper-V a Type 2 Hypervisor

EDIT: Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypervisor as well

To me, nested virtualization means installing Esxi inside of Esxi. What you are trying to do, is enable Hyper-v inside a windows 10 virtual machine, not the same thing as nested virtualization. But I could be wrong.

The only difference is that ESXi is a Type 1 and Hyper-V a Type 2 Hypervisor

Hyper V is a type 1.  It only appears to run on top of the OS, but in reality it runs beneath it.

I thought MS also had a product called Hyper V server which didn't run on top of windows and was its own OS, like Esxi?

Hyper V never runs on top of Windows.  It is a full type 1 hypervisor that when set up virtualizes the OS in a seamless manner to make it appear that it is actually a type 2.

But, yeah I do believe you're correct that there is a hyper-v server product.  Includes a trimmed down Windows

Hyper-V Server is a dedicated stand-alone product that contains the hypervisor, Windows Server driver model, virtualization capabilities, and supporting components such as failover clustering, but does not contain the robust set of features and roles as the Windows Server operating system. As a result, Hyper-V Server produces a small footprint and requires minimal overhead. Organizations consolidating servers where no new Windows Server licenses are required or where the servers being consolidated are running an alternative OS may want to consider Hyper-V Server.

Archived