Updated to 6.2, server is now in a constant reboot loop

Herdo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much this will help now, but I generated a diagnostics zip.

Can you also attach a copy of your dmesg file?  The following will copy it to your flash drive:

cp /var/log/dmesg /boot/dmesg.txt

I'm hoping to compare with the other user with the same rebooting issue.  Your syslog shows some new technologies, Skylake, Sunrise Point, and a relatively new and well equipped SuperMicro, with IPMI.  There's one issue with the IPMI:

Sep 15 19:42:13 unRAID kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: The BMC does not support clearing the recv irq bit, compensating, but the BMC needs to be fixed.

I don't know enough to help, but you might see if you can reconfigure something in the IPMI stuff to get rid of that error.  No idea whether it's at all related to the rebooting,  chances are probably small.

[unrelated] Rather odd, the following occurred (not a problem, just an oddity):

Sep 15 19:42:13 unRAID kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

This spurious IRQ7 has been a sure telltale of nForce systems in the past, never seen on anything but nForce systems (in my experience).  It used to cause considerable grief, until I learned how to mark it unusable, and later the kernel guys did the same.  You won't see IRQ7 in any IRQ tables.  Your syslog shows no evidence at all of any nForce ancestry, so all I can guess is that perhaps they used the same ancient and buggy 8259A chip?  Among other things, this chip used to be the interrupt controller for the ISA bus!  It seems so unlikely that something built for the IBM AT would still be in use, so the condition that caused the spurious IRQ7 must be reappearing for other reasons, but perhaps similar.  Very odd!

Another user has now reported a virtually identical issue:  https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51874.msg502121#msg502121

... Both of you have fairly new SuperMicro boards => I think Rob is collecting diagnostics on both to see if he can isolate the similarities.    This is indeed a VERY strange problem => it's difficult to imagine what might cause the system to hang on the normal boot but work fine with the GUI boot !!

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious => Do those of you with this issue have the same problem with 6.2.1 ??

... and how about with 6.3.0-rc1 ??

I had this issue. (See posts here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52519.60)

The old version (6.1.9) worked fine but the new version 6.2.1) looped at bzroot (it wrote ok and then restarted and went through POST again). I have tried everything including changing USB drives and plugging them elsewhere. GUI mode did froze on me (stayed on the boot selection menu and froze there) and safe mode looped as well (bzroot-ok and restart the server).

6.3.0-rc1 works for me and doesn't loop so it's something with 6.2.1 that's off. The funny thing is that the OP has a similar board to mine. I have a Supermicro X11-SAE.

• 8 months later...

An old post but I just went through this and thought I'd post what worked for me.

I just recently went through this problem upgrading from v6.1.9 to v6.3.5 I had the same symptoms you describe and discovered in another thread that some of the newer X11 Supermicro boards have an issue when certain BIOS settings are enabled. I don't know the exact settings but basically setting the BIOS to default optimized settings fixed the issue for me. The specific post that helped me was here but there's lots of info on the page before and after in this thread.

My bet is that it has something to do with the fiddling with BIOS settings I was doing before to try and turn off UEFI boot mode for an unrelated RAID card issue.