Reallocated sector counts

pyrater

What do you guys do when you have drives with these errors? I already have a replacement drive on the way; however i feel like i am throwing money down the drain.should i keep using this drive until it red balls and then replace it?

Do you have full backups of all your data? Do you think this drive is good enough to be used to rebuild another drive that could fail suddenly without warning?

There's NOTHING wrong with a few reallocated sectors.  Indeed, the reason drives have spare sectors available for reallocation is because that's normal.  Note that if you change the SMART notification value to "normalized" for any disk that has reallocated sectors, you won't get these warnings unless the value is changing.

What you SHOULD track is the # of reallocated sectors.  If this is increasing on a regular basis, then I would indeed replace the disk.    But if you simply have some reallocated sectors, that is NOT an issue.    I have one 2TB disk that has had 64 reallocated sectors for nearly 3 years, but the number is static, so it's simply not an issue.

What you do NOT want are pending sectors => these are sectors where the SMART system knows they've failed, but hasn't been able to reallocate them because they contain data that it hasn't been able to successfully read.  Uncorrectable errors are also bad news.    THESE are the parameters I'd worry about -- and replace any drives that have non-zero counts