Have script check for Array being up before executing?

tmchow
Go to solution Solved by RobJ,

My array is currently offline as I'm investigating an issue with one of the disks. I noticed that one of my seedbox sync scripts still runs and runs amuck because the array isn't online and it starts creating folders within /mnt/user.

This leads me to the question of how do I get a script to check for array being up correctly before it executes?  IOW, if the array is down, I want to abort the script.

• Solution

Don't know if this is what you want, but hopefully you can derive something from this bash script piece.

# Check if array is started
ls /mnt/disk[1-9]* 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
   echo "ERROR:  Array must be started before using this script"
   exit
fi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if this is what you want, but hopefully you can derive something from this bash script piece.

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
   exit
fi

Funny....  I was going to have him parse vars.ini, and never thought about a simple check for directory existing.  Simple solutions are usually the best  ;)

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
   exit
fi

Is checking for the disks enough? Any reason why I couldn't just check for /mnt/user existing?

e.g.

if [ -d "/mnt/user"]
  <do something>
else
  <do something else>
fi

I can't take any credit, I took it from others scripts!

Is checking for the disks enough? Any reason why I couldn't just check for /mnt/user existing?

Checking for the disks is enough to know if the array is started.  Checking for /mnt/user is also fine, *if* you know the user has User Shares enabled.  If they don't, there won't be a /mnt/user, ever.  I don't have it in my system.