51TB Dual Xeon Lian Li PC-D600 Build - "Shogun"

37 minutes ago, jrd680 said:

Thanks for the explanation. How do I see whether a drive is XFS or ReiserFS?

On the "main" tab with the Array started you will see the "FS" header. FS means file system.  That will give you your file system info. ReiserFS, XFS, BTRFS.

The last drive is 45% done roughly. Once completed Ill add it back as an unassigned drive, then copy back my VM image and fire back up my VMs again.

The copy finished this morning. I find the system much faster when browsing the shares.

I also added the unassigned drive back, it was used as the swap drive.  Tonight after work ill  copy back over the VM image and XML then fire up the plugins and dockers.

Since my box chews through parity checks I set it to run this morning. Why not... The mirror drive copy process retains parity but thats a lot of data transfered, and although im on a UPS, we did have a brown out. Might as well run the check.

Cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 1:05 PM, snuffy1pro said:

Tonight after work ill  copy back over the VM image and XML then fire up the plugins and dockers.

So there were some issues bringing back up the VM's So I had to rebuild them. Two Windows 10, one runs as a Remote DVR, an Ubuntu instance, Fedora, ReactOS, and an old Windows 7 for testing.  The other Win10 Runs my den HTPC, that was the painful one as it runs Kodi and Advanced Emulator Launcher so I had to reinstall and setup all of my games again, 65, plus hundreds of legacy emulated console Roms. I did have a backup of Kodi though so that was a small win. I actually finished last night since my prior post a while ago... :/

On the server side it runs much better with XFS, No longer do I have the ReiserFS, WebUI hangs. In case you are wondering all of VMs and dockers have Pinned Cpu allocations. And I also pass through my front Usb bus and use Msi mode on, so I have no vm sound latency issues.

The build so far has paid for itself in WAF, storage, and general nerd fun for myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything has been trucking along quite well with the server. Nothing really new to report. About 56% utilization of the storage space. I have been playing with WD Gold 10TB Drives on my gaming rig, not as slow as I thought they would be so I will go that route when I reach about 80%.

XFS should have been done along time ago on my part.

LVNW.

awesome build! I would love one like that, couple of questions please

1. Were there any issues with the 2670s being recognised by unraid?

2. Did you have any IOMMU group issues with modern GPU like 1080ti?

3. How hard was it to replace the noisy cage fans?

Thanks and well done on a lovely build, perfection I say!

Cheers

Edited by Guest

awesome build and even more awesome wife!

As you highlighted, it's a great note about your relationship that the finished server would be placed in the formal living. I think's a even greater story though that is evident from your pictures.... it looks like you actually assembled it, start to finish, in the living room! That's even more incredible to mention! Truly awesome wife.

Thanks for posting this, epic build!

On 9/28/2017 at 7:52 AM, antaresuk said:

awesome build! I would love one like that, couple of questions please

1. Were there any issues with the 2670s being recognised by unraid?

No issues with the CPUS, FIRED RIGHT UP.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:52 AM, antaresuk said:

2. Did you have any IOMMU group issues with modern GPU like 1080ti?

No issues I have 1050Tis, just make sure you understand MSI MODE ( if needed)

3. How hard was it to replace the noisy cage fans?

Very simple about 10 min. For all three.

Thanks and well done on a lovely build, perfection I say!

Cheers

On 9/29/2017 at 12:23 AM, Lev said:

awesome build and even more awesome wife!

As you highlighted, it's a great note about your relationship that the finished server would be placed in the formal living. I think's a even greater story though that is evident from your pictures.... it looks like you actually assembled it, start to finish, in the living room! That's even more incredible to mention! Truly awesome wife.

Thanks for posting this, epic build!

Thanks, she has been great about the whole thing, but after 12 years she kind of understands I just do... I tell people I ask for forgiveness not really permission... That being said when she came back from Japan in Aug. and saw a new Sony Projector hanging from the ceiling, all I got was a long hooneeey, to which I replied sorry but it was on sale!! Suffice to say its still hanging from the ceiling.. YMMV, CHEERS!

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I haven’t seen any updates on this thread (I know it’s a little old), but was wondering how this system was running?  I’m just getting started on building an Unraid server inside this same case and was wondering if any issues have come up?  I have to say that this build is fantastic. 

Well the build has started.  Picked up the same case from a local online store (Newegg) and was able to pick it up for under $300.  I also picked up the same drive cages and I'm looking for some Nocuta fans.  I didn't see them in your PCPartPicker list, so I'm not sure if these will work since they are PWM fans. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A8-PWM-Premium-Computer/dp/B00NEMG62M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524358323&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+80mm&dpID=51Zwr7xb2CL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.  I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions  throughout the build, haven't build anything this big and not experience with unRaid at all.  Thanks.

You'll love that case -- I've worked with a LOT of cases, and for a large system build there's nothing that comes close except for a another long-discontinued Lian-Li case (PC-80B) which was a superb case for up to 20 drives.    But the D600 has even more capacity and clearly is very easy to work in due to the cavernous interior :D

Hello, glad to hear you got started!! Link looks good same as I bought.. I just used slightly larger screws and “tapped” the HD enclosure fan mount holes for a tight fit..

Ask away I’ll answer as fast as I can... To Gary’s point the PC-80b was the case I was originally looking for... ;)

Just be patient and take your time, plan it out before fully zipping everything down.

Cheers!!!

9 hours ago, snuffy1pro said:

the PC-80b was the case I was originally looking for... ;)

Very interesting.    I don't know why Lian-Li doesn't make that case anymore -- it was a GREAT case, and the cooling with the door-mounted fans was superb.

But the D800 is certainly a great alternative -- and can hold a lot more "stuff" :D

Thanks everyone.  Well I picked up my case yesterday and will be ordering the Motherboard, CPU's, Memory this week hopefully getting everything delivered before the week-end. 

Over the week-end, I took a spare computer and put in a couple of drives so that I can look through unRaid (only seen videos of unRaid), and I have to say I'm impressed.   I created a user share and copied over a large 20GB file and it copied over pretty quick (about 102MB/s).  This morning I remembered that I didn't add a parity drive (just playing around, didn't care if I lost anything) and am wondering how much slower will my file transfers be when I finish the new machine and have a single or maybe a dual parity drive(s)?

There's little notable difference in the write speeds with single vs. dual parity -- so I'd certainly use dual parity.

But with either you'll notice a significant drop from what you're seeing without parity.   Just how much depends on the speed of the drives.    With older drives you might see 30-40MB/s.   With very high density (1.5TB/platter) 7200rpm 8TB or larger drives you'll probably see closer to 60MB/s (even better while you're writing to the outer cylinders).

To maximize the write speeds with parity you can enable "Turbo Write"  => this is actually called "reconstruct write" in the settings, but is often referred to as "Turbo Write" in discussions about the feature.    This results in faster writes because there are fewer sequential disk operations needed to write a block of data (in the normal method, the current contents of both the parity drive(s) and the disk being written to have to be read before it can do the write).   The disadvantage of Turbo Write is that ALL disks need to be spun up to do a write.    It's not a bad idea to turn this feature on while you're initially filling your array; but you may not want it on all the time, so an occasional write doesn't spin up all of your disks.