New array, 22GB used space

nagi

Hi,

I created a completely new new unraid array, on a completely new pendrive and system, went through preclears, started, then formatted the array with two of the three drives. My problem is that somehow 22GB space is being used on my first disk. Why? Anyone has any idea?

VgUGotW.png

Well, while I left the defaults on, I did not install or activate any docker / VM images. Does an "empty" one really consume that much space?

Obviously at 16TB I'm not concerned about a mere 22GB, but I jsut want to make sure that the new array is working properly before fully transitioning from my older one.

Well, while I left the defaults on, I did not install or activate any docker / VM images. Does an "empty" one really consume that much space?

Obviously at 16TB I'm not concerned about a mere 22GB, but I jsut want to make sure that the new array is working properly before fully transitioning from my older one.

Chances that the 22GB disk space used is correct.  When a drive is formatted then space will be consumed to create all the empty directory entries.  The larger the drive the more space that will be consumed for this purpose.

... When a drive is formatted then space will be consumed to create all the empty directory entries.  The larger the drive the more space that will be consumed for this purpose.

File structure overhead is not shown as used space, so that's not what this is.  I'm sure Johnnie's hit the nail on the head r.e. a Docker image.

OK, I went to the shares page and checked sizes. It turns out it was the "system" share, with the docker.img file using the whole nine yards of that 22GB.

So thanks to all who helped in resolving this "issue". I've already copied over 1.6TB of my 11... Oh boy, this is gonna take a while  ;D

Archived