Amazon Echo (Alexa) integration with Kodi

fonzie

I am in the process of getting voice control in Kodi on my Shield using Amazon Echo Dot.  I'm following the tutorial on this page: https://github.com/m0ngr31/kodi-alexa

I went through the entire process and set up a server with Heroku but it is not working for me.  An alternative mentioned in the guide is to use a docker as outlined here: https://github.com/m0ngr31/kodi-alexa#docker

The author says he has not personally tried setting up a docker server but does have instructions on how to do so.  I was thinking of setting up the docker on unRAID to have all of these processes running locally.  The problem is that I have no idea how to do it.  I have installed dockers from repos before but I am unclear on how to input them through command line.

Not sure where to type it in and how to check if it is working.  I was hoping someone here has experience or has already set this up and can point me in the right direction.

I really want to implement this automation and I hope unRAID can allow me to get there.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! :)

After researching further, I found that setting up the docker in unRAID would be difficult because your external IP has to be HTTPS in order to interface with Amazon properly.  So if you get the docker running, you also have to make sure it is in SSL to be able to use it.  Hoping someone can come in and help with this.  I really feel like learning Python just to get this done. hehe.

I've been using the Alexa Kodi skill for a few months now.

I think it's awesome. Just recently integrated my lights with it as well, so now whenever I pause/play/stop a movie it adjusts the lights to set levels.

However, I decided to run it all in a Linux VM. While a docker could probably be set up to do it, I took the easy route.

Good luck!

I've been using the Alexa Kodi skill for a few months now.

I think it's awesome. Just recently integrated my lights with it as well, so now whenever I pause/play/stop a movie it adjusts the lights to set levels.

However, I decided to run it all in a Linux VM. While a docker could probably be set up to do it, I took the easy route.

Good luck!

How complicated was this... and any interest in some beer money to me get setup with a VM for Kodi/Alexa integration?

( :

I've been pulling my hair out

Meep thanks for the guidance. I checked out your blog and wished that I could understand half of it. Red Node looks like a very useful program.

However, I decided to give m0ngr3el's tutorial one more try due to its step by step details (which noobs like me need), and lo and behold I got it working!!!

My next step is trying to figure out how to add commands to get it to open up programs outside of Kodi like Netflix and YouTube.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Meep thanks for the guidance. I checked out your blog and wished that I could understand half of it. Red Node looks like a very useful program.

However, I decided to give m0ngr3el's tutorial one more try due to its step by step details (which noobs like me need), and lo and behold I got it working!!!

My next step is trying to figure out how to add commands to get it to open up programs outside of Kodi like Netflix and YouTube.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Fonzie I saw your posts in the Kodi forum. please tell me how you got the Docker running in unRAID.... I was thinking that the best way to enable the HTTPS requirement is to use one of the Apache or Nginx/LetsEncrypt dockers that already allow you to get the certificates and to reverse proxy to the correct location.

What I cannot figure out, is what executes or makes the Kodi-Alexa thing run. I also use LibreELEC and have seen the docker add-on there as well.

I honestly am not proficient in the slightest. What I did at first was try to input the code:

docker run -p "443:8000" -e KODI_ADDRESS="<local xbmc ip>" -e KODI_PORT="8080" -e KODI_USERNAME="<your xbmc/kodi username>" -e KODI_PASSWORD="<the user's password>" kuroshi/kodi-alexa

Into telnet but it didn't show up in the docker window.

My next step was to use the docker template and input the repository, paths, ports, and variables.

It now shows up on my dockers page, but I have no idea if it's even working since it has no webui

1842692995daec9ca18879761901f436.jpg

The next step would be for you to configure you Apache, or NGinx to reverse proxy to port 8000....  Are you running any of the Dockers with reverse proxy with valid SSL certificate?

In apache I would have an entry in the conf file like:

<Location /myalexa>
	ProxyPass https://192.168.0.201:8000
	ProxyPassReverse https://192.168.0.201:8000
</Location>

Then you could access this via https://yourdomain.com/myalexa

Not sure where you would point this in the AWS Amazon configuration page. Since I don't have an Echo, I cannot test any of it.

PS. I am NOT an expert either.