SMB shares inaccessible after upgrade to 6.2.3 from 6.1.9

gcleaves

So I've started 6.3.5 in safe mode. I opened the GUI and the array was offline. I brought it online, which took some time, but Samba still doesn't work. Same Mac error as always: 

There was a problem connecting to the server “TOWER”.

Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator.

I'm sure I'm in safe mode: System running in safe mode

Make sure you don't have a folder named "extra" on your flash drive. I'm not entirely sure SAFE mode will keep stuff in extra from installing and it was mentioned you had an extra folder.

You should probably remove any "extra" folder unless you can explain exactly why you need one.

On 7/22/2017 at 2:09 AM, puweyxil said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread; But I suffered the same issue as gcleaves ever since upgrading to 6.2.x (and beyond) from 6.1.9: Samba hasn't worked.

Much like gcleaves, I didn't really have the time deal with it until recently, but I have finally discovered the issue:  Some plugin common to gcleaves and myself is installing an old version of glibc:  This file was in my (and his) /boot/extra folder:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12840356 Sep 15  2013 glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz

Once I was able to remove that file (and reboot) Samba worked again (and I wonder what other problems this may have been causing me). I'm still trying to track down why that packages was there, but am happy to have Samba working again in the mean time.

Argh.  Lost many hours until I came across this post.  Thanks a million puweyxil.

I was installing glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz so that I could build perl modules.  I assume I need to upgrade.  Anyway, will installpkg commented out, shares are back!

25 minutes ago, mtense said:

I was installing glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz so that I could build perl modules.

On 7/22/2017 at 2:09 AM, puweyxil said:

Some plugin common to gcleaves and myself is installing an old version of glibc:

Any idea which plugin so I can deal with this via Community Applications?  Or is this something you've tossed into /boot/extra at some point in the past (Alternatively, if you're installing packages via something dated like unMenu, well you reap what you sow O0)

Archived