Midnight Commander RenMov ignores Split Level

Marv

Hi,

I just came across a strange behavior using Midnight Commander and hopefully someone can clear me up here.

So I have two shares. Both using all disks.

I wanted to move one file from /mnt/user/Downloads/file.xy to /mnt/user/Media/TV Shows/ShowXY/Season 1/

The file was located on disk 2 on the Downloads share. My Media share is using Split Level 3 which makes sure that all season folders stay on one disk only.

In this case the Season 1 folder was located on disk 1 already. So what I expected MC to do was moving the file from disk 2 of my Downloads share to disk 1 in /mnt/user/Media/TV Shows/ShowsXY/Season 1/

Unfortunately this did not happen and a new Season 1 folder was created on disk 2 containing the moved file.

So is Midnight Commander ignoring split levels when using the RenMov procedure? Is it just moving the file around on the same disk regardless of my share settings?

Probably mc is just doing mv. And mv to the same disk would just change the directory entry rather than actually moving anything. If so, the question would be how does mv work with user shares.

When writing a file to a user share, if the file already exists on some disk in the user share, it will update the existing file instead of creating a new one on some other disk in the user share. Something like this is probably happening with mv also, where it sees the file already exists on a disk in the user share so it updates the directory entry of the existing file.

Archived