Just built my server - having trouble getting it to connect to the internet

cbtiger

When the IP address/DNS configuration is set to Automatic, these are the settings along with what "ifconfig" shows: 

I don't know much about IP address/networking stuff, but the IP address it gives when set on automatic almost seems like an external IP address.  When it is set like this, I can't ping www.google.com in the terminal and I can't connect to any websites in the browser.  My default gateway for my home network is 192.168.1.1, so obviously I can't access the server from the other computers on my network.  Also, when I do an "ipconfig" from the Windows machines on my network, it says the Network mask is 255.255.255.0, not 255.255.0.0 like unRAID gives in auto configuration.

I tried to set the IP settings manually, and you can see what I input and get with "ifconfig" here:

Same problems as before, can't ping any outside websites, can't visit any websites on the browser, and when I try to ping the unRAID server (at 192.168.1.24) from the other machines on my network, I get a host unreachable error.  I also can't ping any machines from the unRAID server itself.

I've been messing with this for the past two days and am at my wits end.  Does anyone have any idea how to get this fixed?

I posted this in a post about having trouble with my USB drive, but the fix for the USB drive problem also fixed my network problems:

"Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I've been messing around with it, as unplugging and reinserting the flash drive didn't seem to do anything.  It turns out, my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P) has two obscure bios settings:

IOMMU Controller and EHCI Handoff that are disabled by default, with no description as to what they are for.  Anyways, I enabled both of them and now I have no problems booting up repeatedly.  In fact, once I enabled those two settings, all of my networking problems went away as well! I booted up and the internet was working and I could ping everything on my network.  Crazy what a couple random settings in the BIOS can do.

Thanks all for the help."

Archived