Static/assigned IP problems, repeatedly detecting new data drives

pepar

At the initial login to my unRAID 6 I assigned an IP address ... let's call it "50."  After setting up the boot, cache and a single data disk, and working with it, I began to have problems with is being inaccessible via webGUI.  Looking at the Linux boot screen (on the unRAID box) I saw that it had a different IP than the one assigned; it had somehow reverted to the initial address that was dynamically assigned ... call that "117."  Occasionally, I would see the 50 IP address top right on the webGUI but Fing reporting it at 117.  Strangely, Fing would note that "this node has two IP addresses" ... how is that even possible?  Alternately, or in addition to, stopping the array would sometimes result in the "Invalid, missing or expired registration key" notice.  Rebooting usually fixed that, though as I type this I suspect the dueling IP addresses interfered with unRAID accessing the 'net and verifying license status.  I finally gave up and removed the assigned IP address.

The other problem began when I added a second data disk.  It cleared and was added, but the next time unRAID reported "Invalid, missing or expired registration key", it was seen as new upon rebooting.  I have cleared the drive three or four times with at least two of those times successfully adding it to the array as reported by the dashboard and main screens.

Any ideas?

Jeff

I didn't notice anything definitive, but the (short) syslog says unclean shutdown. Have you powered down without stopping the array? If not then that would indicate it wasn't able to write the start/stop status to super.dat. Not remembering an added drive would also be a symptom of not writing super.dat.

Your flash drive winds up as sdf. It looks like a,b,c,d,e are taken by a card reader.

You might try putting the flash drive in your PC and letting it checkdisk to see if it needs repair.

I have had to power down a few times when the GUI locked up.  Also, I noticed yesterday that the reads/writes to the boot USB were in the xx,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 area.  Yes, I ran out of prefixes to verbally express the qty.  I will yank the front panel USB/card reader and then do some diags on the USB boot.  Perhaps it has been written to so much it has failed?  Can't imagine why that would be though.

When I just came to the rig I noticed the clearing had completed but the drive was unmountable.  I thought I'd reboot and use the webGUI on my PC so I could capture the boot read/write status, but it reset when it was rebooted.  It is clearing again.

Jeff

I used a utility to check the USB flash and there were no memory errors.  Should I wipe it and recreate the unRAID boot drive? 

Should I pull the drive ... BTW, I just moved the cage to another slot; it is clearing again  :-\ ... hook it to my PC and run diagnostics?  I am running out of wits ...

Thanks, I will try that.  Problem is, it won't stay "cleared." 

Other problems I am having is that I can't change the allocation method.  Nor can I change from not using the cache to using the cache for the share.  With only the first drive I was able to use the cache.  I make the changes, hit apply and settings revert.  Will try IE right now for that issue.

edit: no joy with IE either.  Will wait to see what happens after the current clearing is complete.  Frustrating.

Jeff

At least after  two of the four (working on the fifth) times the drive was cleared, I formatted it.  At that point it became part of the array.  The next time the key went missing, upon reboot it found a "new" disc.

My boot USB stick is healthy and SMART reports the "new" drive is healthy.

Thanks,

Jeff

Just diving further into the manual and it says that Flash needs to be installed on the server?  Unless it is part of the unRAID installation, I don't have Flash on my server?

Not sure I understand what your saying or asking here. Can you post a link to what you are reading?

The USB (flash memory) drive you boot unRAID from is what is meant by the flash drive.

There are other USB 3.0 ports on the mobo.  Perhaps I have it in one that is a 3rd party, i.e. Asmedia or Via as opposed to those on the Intel chipset.  I will check that.  Plus I have seen suggestions that the the boot stick be on a 2.0 instead of 3.0.  If making sure it is on the Intel chipset doesn't help, I will rig a 2.0 port.

Jeff

I moved the boot USB to a USB 2.0 port, removed the second drive and rebooted.  I was able to change the allocation method AND save it.  Now it is checking parity on the 1-drive/parity array.  When that is done I will add the second drive and let unRAID have its way with it as well.  I am hopeful!

Merry Christmas!

One final post on this.  Moving the USB boot stick to a USB 2.0 port fixed it all!  This is weird.  I can only speculate that, with the USB 3.x ports being 3.1 (Gen1), Linux support is not yet working properly? Dunno.

Anyway, my symptoms, which can be found in the above posts, were all fixed.

Jeff