ssd cache keeps disappearing on reboot

I have been trying unraid to set up a SageTV server. I downloaded the key set everything up and worked fine with the two dockers I needed. Rebooted the server several times everything was fine. installed the windows 10 vm using the online tutorials again everything seemed fine. But when I rebooted the cache drive disappeared. I read through the forums and it maybe bad ssd or flash drive. I replaced both and reinstalled, waited the 7 hours for the parity drive to rebuild. I then rebooted the server, rebooted fine cache drive was there no problems, Reinstalled the windows 10 vm again tonight rebooted the server came up cache drive was unassigned, and reading as sbd. The ssd is a pony 240 gigs, the parity and data disks are seagate barracudas 3 tb. The version is the newest stable 6.3. It seems to me that it's the vm causing the problem that seems to be when its happening after theinstall of that. Any suggestions on how to get the cache drive to stick. I really like unraid but unless I can get ti to reboot with the cache drive I can't really use it. Thank You

The only interesting thing in the syslog is that 'appdata' share is set 'cache-only'.  In a default install this is set 'prefer'.  Maybe you changed it at some point?

I don't see anything that explains why cache assignment should get cleared - nothing in unRAID does that on it's own.  I suggest you plug flash device into PC and make a backup.  Next reformat the flash, re-install unRAID OS and then restore your backup.  After first boot, review device assignments and go ahead and assign your ssd to cache.  Now Start array.  I'm guessing everything should come back online.

At that point open telnet/ssh session and type:

diagnostics

This will create a timestamped zip file in the 'logs' directory on your flash.  Then try to remember to type 'diagnostics' periodically as you do things like Stop array or reboot server.  The idea is to catch it in a state where the cache disk assignment gets unassigned.

The idea is to catch it in a state where the cache disk assignment gets unassigned.

I'm having a similar issue on my work server, adding a 2nd cache device, and this time using a different browser isn't helping, sometimes changing the cache slots appears to help but also not having luck this time (btw, whatever the issue is started on rc9), attached diags after first assignment and after rebooting, maybe you can see something but the 2nd cache disk is assigned at reboot time and unassigned at next array start.

tower8-diagnostics-20170207-1929.zip

tower8-diagnostics-20170207-1933.zip

Glad to see it isn't just me.  Thought maybe I was doing it incorrectly.  I did finally get one of the two cache drives to stay assigned but the second still refuses to stick.  I've never posted before because I figured it was me.  Now I'm not so sure. But I will try again.  I tried with Chrome, Firefox and Edge.  Will try another browser besides those as well.  Also will try from my windows VMs.  Hoping that since I went from 0 out of 2 to 1 out of 2 sticking that I can eventually get the last one to stick.

The idea is to catch it in a state where the cache disk assignment gets unassigned.

I'm having a similar issue on my work server, adding a 2nd cache device, and this time using a different browser isn't helping, sometimes changing the cache slots appears to help but also not having luck this time (btw, whatever the issue is started on rc9), attached diags after first assignment and after rebooting, maybe you can see something but the 2nd cache disk is assigned at reboot time and unassigned at next array start.

Yes I see the issue.  Fix coming in 6.3.1.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...