[unRAID [6.3.2] Parity disk not present when disk 1 is working, while disk 1 is not installed when the parity is present.

Sorry if this isn't enough or the right detail but this is my first post, and I'll try to make it clear with what issues I am having. 

The print screens below show what happens. When one is available the other does not show. When the parity is online, I do have access to my files normal transfers too. But when the disk is working, I can't access anything and for some reason my registration becomes invalid. 

Here is a link for my hardwareused: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FXNHsJ

When I Have the WD red parity and WD red drive plugged in it looks like this. 

58e467a40a162_Screenshot(65).thumb.png.e373d4d84effdc9d3744b3ec4d0c7b23.png

I stop the array and go to assign the WD red drive as Disk 1 and it looks like this:

58e467e3bb7b4_Screenshot(80).thumb.png.682403cc7bf0570433c6a828ca224270.png

However when I scroll down and hit start the array it ends up looking like this:

58e46819de3a1_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.fc6432f3787290971b3e1b89c33a23e6.png

Also notice how it's unregistered now, when I go to try to check the reason for it It's seems to think that I'm in a trial mode.

58e468865224b_Screenshot(58).thumb.png.65b503181d4f3b38883497544a7df49b.png

I easily re-register for it and the side issue is solved for now:

58e468e791d8b_Screenshot(59).thumb.png.467f93200e93bb7301684951d1017a47.png

when I go back to assign the parity disk like normal, I go back to where I started. 

I have a spare new, WD blue 3TB, when I put it in this happens: 

58e46934bae8c_Screenshot(78).thumb.png.cc84c44c8d406c40621cf51dc91eef2b.png

I know that the WD red parity drive seems to be good, should I switch Disk 1 for the moment with the WD blue while my RED drive is  RMA? 

Also I can't recall if I just hot swapped the drive when the array was off-line, could that have an affect on it? Does the whole server need to powered off completely? 

Edited by iPolymer

Don't really understand what's the problem, but post your diagnostics, it may shed some light.

Tools -> Diagnostics

Also your disks are being detected as 2.2TB, that implies you're using an older controller not on the hardware listed, hopefully we should be able to see why with the diags.

ETA: there's a problem with the flash drive, visible by the extremely high number of reads and writes, try a different USB port, preferably one USB 2.0.

Edited by johnnie.black
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Don't really understand what's the problem, but post your diagnostics, it may shed some light.

Tools -> Diagnostics

Also your disks are being detected as 2.2TB, that implies you're using an older controller not on the hardware listed, hopefully we should be able to see why with the diags.

ETA: there's a problem with the flash drive, visible by the extremely high number of reads and writes, try a different USB port, preferably one USB 2.0.

I will send the the diags when I get get home. But what do you mean by older controller?  Finally I am using an on board USB port for the flash drive.  

1 hour ago, iPolymer said:

How would I know that it's set up like that? How do you think I should fix this?

Probably unRAID detected a problem reading it so mounted it readonly to prevent corruption. I diagnostic would probably tell us for sure and we could decide how to proceed. A different port as johnnie suggested might help.

Disks are being detected as 2.2TB because you're using a very old firmware on your LSI:

Apr  7 15:56:08 subnas kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(02.15.63.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.01.09.00)

Current release is 20.00.07.00, but >2.2TB was added a long time ago, you need to update, backup your data first since the disks will be detected as wrong by unRAID, you'll need to do a new config.

Besides that it's also timing out a lot, hopefully the firmware update will also fix that.

• Upvote 1
On 4/8/2017 at 1:46 AM, johnnie.black said:

Disks are being detected as 2.2TB because you're using a very old firmware on your LSI:

Current release is 20.00.07.00, but >2.2TB was added a long time ago, you need to update, backup your data first since the disks will be detected as wrong by unRAID, you'll need to do a new config.

Besides that it's also timing out a lot, hopefully the firmware update will also fix that.

Thank you so much for this. Would you know how to update it from unRaid, or if others had this issue?\

Also what should I backup and how? The parity disk or or the normal drive? I'll try this after I update the LSI 

If array is like the last diagnostics, disk1 is being emulated, since it's a 1 disk array parity will have the same data as emulated disk1, but don't think about that for now, you only need to backup the emulated disk1.

Do that before updating the LSI, then go to Avago's site and download the current IT firmware for your controller, probably for the 9211-8i if that's the one you're using (or crossflashed clone like M1015, h310, etc.).