Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 - forward or reverse breakout cables?

Rajahal

I ordered these from Buy.com

SFF8087OCF-05

Note the F in the part number, It means forward (what you need to go from the SASLP to a SATA hard drive). They are made by 3ware and are 0.5 meters long (note the 05). They also make 0.6 and 1.0 meter length cables. I paid $28.48 shipped for two.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the AOC SASLP MV8 work with the latest release of unRaid?

If the case includes a SASML backplane with SFF-8087 connectors can one just use an 8087 to 8087 cable?

If you know for please tell me as I am about to make a purchase if you are not sure but about to try that would also be interesting to know.

Does the AOC SASLP MV8 work with the latest release of unRaid?

If the case includes a SASML backplane with SFF-8087 connectors can one just use an 8087 to 8087 cable?

If you know for please tell me as I am about to make a purchase if you are not sure but about to try that would also be interesting to know.

Yes, it does work with the latest version of unRAID.  I would venture a guess that the type of cable you mentioned would work, but I'd check the websites for both Supermicro and the backplane manufacturer for accurate info.  Either of them should have a support link where you can ask the question.

'breakout' defines going from one to many, therefore if you were to purcahse a reverse breakout cable, you wouldnt be able to plug the 4 sata ports into the card :D

if the case just has an 8087 minisas, then any 8087 to 8087 will work, as long as its just a pass through backplane.

the conseseus opinion is that what I have should work.  Tom indicated that what I am doing is basically what he did for the 1510.  I will be cabling two drive rows (4 drives) to the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA using SFF-8087/SFF-8087 cables, and one row using a breakout cable (SFF-8087/ 4xSATA) to the motherboard SATA ports.

The question now in my mind (that is a call for advice) is where should the parity drive be placed?  Should it connect to the HBA or to the motherboard? Obviuosly, I think, I want it on the fastest port.

I really like the Chenbro case and have attached some pics. RackMountPro was very supportive with advice and assistance.  In addition they installed the PSU and cables at no additional charge.  No manuals came with the case (OEM) but a simple call answered immediately produced an email with the necessary links to the manuals.

Front.jpg.ba5083c5fd66e96a54b61f8aa89298a5.jpg

Topb_Side.jpg.7aa7cbb3f6543d291f7f0d2f7727ac60.jpg

The question now in my mind (that is a call for advice) is where should the parity drive be placed?  Should it connect to the HBA or to the motherboard? Obviuosly, I think, I want it on the fastest port.

This depends on the motherboard.

I've seen where two many drives on the motherboard slow down parity performance.

On my machine, (ABit AB9 PRO) I used a dedicated silicon image controller for parity.

This way I was sure at least one lane provided 100% bidirectional access to the parity drive.

From what I read the Intel 6 port ICH controller provided bandwidth up to 384Kb/s.

Now in comparison to my X7SBE, the motherboard SATA drives provided very fast parity drive access.

Faster then a PCIe controller. (Albeit.. slightly).

My suggestion is to just try both and see what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I have one parity drive, one data drive, one pre-cleared drive not in the array, and one drive being pre-cleared as I write this.  All drives are Hitachi 2 TB spinning at 7200 RPM. All 4 drives are connected to the mobo sata connections via a reverse SAS-SATA breakout cable as the 12 drive backplane terminates in three SAS-8087 connectors.  I am seeing no parity errors or any issues in the syslog.  The pre-Clear which just ended took 24 hours 30 minutes to complete with a pre-read, clear, and post read. I will be adding the drive that I just finished pre-clearing to the array tomorrow night.

Attached is a pic of the finished case with all items installed.

finished_case_small.jpg.b3acbad5092f42debb01deb2af8464ab.jpg

'breakout' defines going from one to many, therefore if you were to purcahse a reverse breakout cable, you wouldnt be able to plug the 4 sata ports into the card :D

if the case just has an 8087 minisas, then any 8087 to 8087 will work, as long as its just a pass through backplane.

Sorry for the confusion, but... If I want to go from 4 SATA ports on a motherboard to a single SAS connector on a backplane of a case, then do I need a reverse breakout cable? If all the cable does is carry signal, then what difference if it goes from SAS to SATA or vise versa?  ???

Sorry for the confusion, but... If I want to go from 4 SATA ports on a motherboard to a single SAS connector on a backplane of a case, then do I need a reverse breakout cable? If all the cable does is carry signal, then what difference if it goes from SAS to SATA or vise versa?  ???

yup youll need reverse.

no idea about the signalling, but sas and sata have different amount of paths, may have something to do with it.

So, if you do not mind, what kind of cable is this?

http://www.cablematters.com/pc-37-37-mini-sas-36p-to-sata-7fx4-16-feet-cablesff-8087.aspx

Here is what I bought

4 Port Breakout SFF-8087- 4x Sata (Host=SATA, Device=SAS) PC-Pitstop $27.00

It is working fine to do just what you want, connect an SFF-8087 connector on a backplane to 4 SATA connectors on the mobo.  The tech support staff at PC-Pitstop will answer your questions by phone and fast.  Just tell them what you want to do and they will make sure you get the right cable to do it.

Personally I believe the only difference is the length of the individual sata cables.  I wanted all the same length as the sata ports on the mobo are in a small cluster. The sata cables were neatly marked as 1,2,3,4 and there is also a signal cable with a header style connector but I did not use it and I am not sure what it is for.  Perhaps LED indicators.

The cables are passive so there is real no electrical directionality, so IMHO reverse has no meaning electrically.

• 1 month later...

My OEM cards came with both full and half height backplanes, though not attached to the cards. I had to choose the proper one and attach it myself.

Yep, that's what I've seen as well.  Be careful about which side you attach the plate on (you'll see what I mean when you have it in front of you).  I originally attached it to the wrong side and couldn't figure out why the plate wasn't lining up with the case when the card was plugged into the PCIe slot.

Archived