[Solved] - Plex connecting to a Synology NAS via SMB

Hi Guys,

In regards to Plex; I have a Synology NAS with my data on it and am looking to map an SMB share so that Plex can view the files on the NAS. For some reason I'm having difficulties, so hope you could help.

I mapped an SMB mount via "Remote SMB", but can't tell if it's really working or not. The green dot to indicate active is on when you first load the page or navigate way and come back, but if you refresh, the dot turns gray. See "Page load.jpg" and "Page reload.jpg" images.

Docker knows that the mount exists as I can see it in Plex and the Docker config reflects this. See dockerMapping.jpg.

If I ssh to the path and list, nothing shows.

root@grid:/mnt/disks# ls -lt
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 May  6 23:14 NAS_Movies/
root@grid:/mnt/disks# cd NAS_Movies/
root@grid:/mnt/disks/NAS_Movies# ls

Likewise in Plex, I point to the mount "folder" and it says that there are no files to analyse.

Could this be a setting on the Synology NAS that I've missed? SMB 1 through 3 is active and I've been using SMB for on Windows 10 without issue.

Is anyone else using a Synology NAS with an SMB connection to UNRAID?

Any pointers are appreciated.?

Page load.jpg

Page reload.jpg

dockerMapping.jpg

Edited by dorian

Permission issues on the Synology?  Is the windows box connecting as a user to the share?  UD didn't mount the share.  If it did then there would be an unmount button.  The logs from UD might also shed some light.

But with Plex, you've also got to do this

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1

You need to edit the Plex docker and add Path at the bottom.

After that restart the Plex docker.

(Even if you added the synology share directly in Plex GUI).

I am using it with Plex docker and a share on my synology NAS.

BF

Edited by Barefeet
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that Squid is onto something. I still see nothing at listed @

root@grid:/mnt/disks/NAS_Movies# ls -lt

total 0

Even though the green active dot sometimes shows, the SMB is not connected; see attached. That's why I wasn't sure what was working and what wasn't. Might be a browser cache issue. 

In any case, the logs do show the following which is confusing:

May 16 07:07:52 Remote SMB share '//NAS/Movies' is not mounted and cannot be unmounted...
May 16 07:08:29 Error: Remote SMB/NFS server 'NAS' is offline and share '//NAS/Movies' cannot be mounted.

"//NAS/Movies" is the location and it does exist. I can connect through Windows fine. I thought that special characters in the password might be an issue, and obviously, Synology permissions were a concern so I created a new "nas" user with no special characters in the password and the account has every permission on the Synology. If I could just get into work, I'd work my way back and find out what's causing the issue. SMB 1 through 3 are active on the Synology.

To specifically answer some questions:

Squid

Permission issues on the Synology?  

I've tried to eliminate that by creating a new user and giving it full permissions to everything.

Is the windows box connecting as a user to the share?  

Yes, Windows it's connecting as a user to the share. Originally, it was the same user that I was trying to connect with. 

Your permissions aren't right either on the synology or on unRaid. Check both. 

My thoughts too, but I can't see where. As I've said I created a new user and gave it full permissions to everything on the Synology box. In regards to the UNRAID side of things, isn't the permissions for this handled by the unassigned devices plug-in? If not, please let me know.

Barefeet

Did you have to do anything special within the DSM to get the SMB with unassigned devices to work?

Thanks for you time guys.

The image that caused me confusion as to if SMB was working or not:

smb1.jpg

Edited by dorian

On the Synology NAS, I've disabled the Firewall and most of the security options, I've also enabled NFS on a 'Games' share, but still not luck.

I thought I'd try the Games share as that's not encrypted, but it failed on SMB and NFS. It's just the fact that the log states that the NAS is offline, but it's not and the Windows PC see's it on the network.

The Unassigned Devices log still shows, for the two shares being tested:

May 16 21:17:17 Error: Remote SMB/NFS server 'NAS' is offline and share '//NAS/Movies' cannot be mounted.
May 16 21:17:18 Error: Remote SMB/NFS server 'NAS' is offline and share 'NAS:/Games' cannot be mounted.

I'll spend hours with this and am no further forward. Hopefully, someone can suggest something...perhaps I'm doing something really stupid.

smb1.jpg

smb2.jpg

Did you try mounting the synology shares using the IP of the synology rather then name? ie //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Movies

I ask because unless you have an internal DNS resolving the name NAS to the IP, smb mounting by name get a little weird at times.

Windows does the resolution with some helpful side channels, but it will drive unsuspecting users up the wall if you are not aware of it.

• Upvote 1

Ken-Ji,

You were spot on! :D

Did you try mounting the synology shares using the IP of the synology rather then name? ie //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Movies

I ask because unless you have an internal DNS resolving the name NAS to the IP, smb mounting by name get a little weird at times.

Windows does the resolution with some helpful side channels, but it will drive unsuspecting users up the wall if you are not aware of it.

Yes, it was most certainly driving me up the wall. In retrospect, it's something totally obvious to try, but I've never had resolution issues before so it never crossed my mind. I guess you learn something new every day.

Plugged in IP address, had no take strict password control off the Synology NAS and change the password on the user as UNRAID doesn't like special characters. After that worked like a charm.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in.

Had a dig around, and it looks like it might not be a bug if it's bound by the same as UNRAID itself.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

What characters are not legal in an unRAID password?

Short answer: can't use these characters in a password: | & ; ( ) < > space tab ; $ # * @

Long answer: the System Management Utility uses a bash shell to set the system password (using chpasswd command) and the samba password (using the smbpasswd command). The above characters have special meaning to the shell.

See http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=974

Edited by dorian
  • 1 year later...

@dorian can you share any light on this? I think its really strange that my Shield android box and my Kodi raspberry all connects perfectly to my Synology but for some reason Unraid dosent work.

The new release candidate change the hostname to the corresponding IP and it also find all the shares in the dropdown menu

But after adding the share its greayed out and I cannot mount the SMB path?

1 hour ago, casperse said:

@dorian can you share any light on this? I think its really strange that my Shield android box and my Kodi raspberry all connects perfectly to my Synology but for some reason Unraid dosent work.

The new release candidate change the hostname to the corresponding IP and it also find all the shares in the dropdown menu

But after adding the share its greayed out and I cannot mount the SMB path?

Update to the latest UD plugin version 2019.02.05a.  There was a bug in the previous version.

@casperse

Been busy at work.

Ok, so it was actually @ken-ji who figured it out. When assigning a Host use the IP, DO NOT use the hostname it doesn't work (shares won't load). However, you've said that you've tried this. Can you confirm that in your case you've tried //<IP>/software?

Two other things to consider are:

1) That you'll want your NAS to have a static IP as your not using a hostname.

2) That you don't want to have reserved characters in your password as the system management uses a bash shell; so things like  | & ; ( ) < > space tab ; $ # * @

Hope that helps, as that's pretty much all I did.

• 1 year later...

I do face the same problem but none of the recommended solutions did help me to access my synology shares.

It still does show a grey point in the unassigned devices overview and in the log it shows up:

Aug 26 11:12:09 UNRAIDHOME unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.22' is offline and share '//192.168.1.22/media' cannot be mounted.
Aug 26 11:12:09 UNRAIDHOME unassigned.devices: Remote SMB/NFS server '192.168.1.22' is offline and share '//192.168.1.22/software' cannot be mounted.

I can access this shares from any other device (windows & Linux pop_os) using the same user I created new in synology.

Any further recommendation would be helpfull, I'm running out of ideas.