LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Very slow performance on unRAID 6

pedro84

Hello guys, I'm new to unRAID. My goal is to build a simple NAS for my home network.

I'm using a tiny computer, a NANO6060 board, it's a small nano ITX board, but it's a quite powerful one. I had this hardware laying around from a previous project of mine.

It runs a Intel Atom processor E3845 quad-core 1.91Ghz with 4GB of ram.

But I'm finding really hard to make it work, it's pretty slow on boot, sometimes it doesn't boot at all and when it does latency is crazy high. Network is optimal here, both router and mobo use GigaLAN and I'm using a short cat6 cable.

After many unsuccessful tests I've requested a unRAID 5 version to lime tech support, and that perfectly.  So they instructed me to post here to see if anyone could help up to find a solution for running unRAID 6 on my hardware.

I've made a video of the booting process, in this particular case the boot crashed and system rebooted. if that can be any helpful.

Thank's in advance.

Captura de Tela 2017-06-22 às 20.26.49.png

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Looks like a problem with the flash drive. Are you sure you prepared it correctly? Maybe try another port.

Thank's for the reply, trurl.

I've tried different flash drives, all the same. I'm pretty sure that this is not the problem, as I said before I've used the exact same setup with UnRAID 5 and it worked just fine.

Now, after almost 15 minutes trying to boot, UnRAID finally booted, but is really slow and latency is crazy high, like the previous picture I've sent.

20 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Are you using a USB 3.0 port? That won't matter on v5 but it can on v6, USB 2.0 is preferred.

In fact, yes. The motherboard only has 2 USB 3.0 ports. Could that be the problem? is there any workaround?

Thank's

46 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

USB 3.0 ports are notoriously flaky with flash drives on unRAID, check if they can be set to USB 2.0 on the bios, but not sure if that you'll make them behave as true USB 2.0 ports.

Quick update: Plugged the flash drive on USB2.0 from front panel, no luck. Boot still taking forever and when is done, latency is super high.

am I suck on unRAID 5?

35 minutes ago, pedro84 said:

Quick update: Plugged the flash drive on USB2.0 from front panel, no luck. Boot still taking forever and when is done, latency is super high.

am I suck on unRAID 5?

Don't know for sure if the hardware specs are to blame, but that probably isn't enough horsepower to take advantage of a lot of the new features v6 offers anyway. If you can get v5 going with unMenu that will be good enough for NAS duty. My first build (v4.7) was similar.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Don't know for sure if the hardware specs are to blame, but that probably isn't enough horsepower to take advantage of a lot of the new features v6 offers anyway. If you can get v5 going with unMenu that will be good enough for NAS duty. My first build (v4.7) was similar.

Yeah, I was really hoping that this would work. I'm getting this now:

IMG_3793.thumb.JPG.45225ec3c5cca03d3f42bfaf2837e679.JPG

If I stick with UnRAID 5, can I:

1 - use cache SSD drives?

2 - will this expansion PCIe card work? https://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE 

Thank's guys.

Archived