How do I migrate a .VHD (currently under VMWare Player) into a VM on unRAID?

I have a Windows XP machine running from a machine using VMWare Player and I would like to move it to my unRAID box.  I have tried many things, like creating a WXP and using "qemu-img convert -f vpc -O raw orig.vhd new.raw" and using this new converted image but the farthest I have gotten is:

"Booting from Hard Disk...

No bootable device."

Any ideas?

SeaBIOS, tried IDE, Sata, USB and VirtIO.

I got further though.... I am getting a generic BSOD...

Here is what I manage to capture since it reboots automatically.....

error.png

When I boot in SAFE MODE it stops at AGP440.SYS and then the BSOD comes up.....

EDIT:  I mounted the image, renamed AGP440.SYS but now it's getting stuck on MUP.SYS...

UGH!

Edited by m4f1050

You might try installing Acronis in the VMware VM, to back up the Windows install. You can then restore the backup to a KVM virtual machine.

Should work. I actually have an XP install I want to convert and will do exactly that - assuming I can get Acronis to back up an XP install.

Not sure if licensing would survive.

5 hours ago, bjp999 said:

You might try installing Acronis in the VMware VM, to back up the Windows install. You can then restore the backup to a KVM virtual machine.

Should work. I actually have an XP install I want to convert and will do exactly that - assuming I can get Acronis to back up an XP install.

Not sure if licensing would survive.

Have done this on Windows 7.  Needed to reactivate license.  May have had to use Acronis universal restore on KVM - don't remember.

@m4f1050 - Acronis universal restore will remove the machine specific drivers and registry entries. Having it create the VM automatically uses universal restore. So you should not have any issues with "drivers and stuff."

As @BobPhoenix mentions, Windows may need to reactivate the license afterwards. I am not sure if this is Acronis's fault - although it might be that it removes the license activation and forces reactivation. But it may also be that Windows detects significant changes in the configuration and decides on its own that reactivation is required. 

BTW, what happens when you try to reactivate an XP license? Does it succeed?

1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

@m4f1050 - Acronis universal restore will remove the machine specific drivers and registry entries. Having it create the VM automatically uses universal restore. So you should not have any issues with "drivers and stuff."

As @BobPhoenix mentions, Windows may need to reactivate the license afterwards. I am not sure if this is Acronis's fault - although it might be that it removes the license activation and forces reactivation. But it may also be that Windows detects significant changes in the configuration and decides on its own that reactivation is required. 

BTW, what happens when you try to reactivate an XP license? Does it succeed?

I reinstalled, didn't take me long at all, I use it for an old sofware that runs on XP only.  All is good. But good to know about the Acronis universal restore. I actually own an Acronis license, not sure if my version has it but will definitely play with that another time.  Thank you all for the info.

46 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

In my experience, XP licenses are currently automatically activated with no rejections. If, for some reason, you need a valid XP key, they are very easy to find on junked carcasses.

I always install with my XP and my key (not even SP1 or SP2) but I have noticed I can't uae my key to activate after an SP install and move the drive to another machine...

Edited by m4f1050