Network monitoring

• 6 months later...
On 8/5/2017 at 11:51 PM, tucansam said:

Does anyone know if there is someone working on a plugin, docker, or the like, for unraid, that uses something like RRDtool and cacti to monitor network traffic and devices?  That would be awesome.

Did you ever figure out a way to get cacti working? I'd love to do some real monitoring with it.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, tucansam said:

Any updates?

Yeah, I found someone's Docker app of Cacti and setup made a template for it.  It's in the Community Apps selection now if you want to grab it and try it. I'd say based on response to it, consider it alpha/beta in function. ;) 

• 2 months later...

I would recommend running PRTG as the free trial is 100 sensors for ever. Which is perfect for home setups. I think it only runs on windows, not aware of a linux install. Probably be best running it on a windows vm, unless someone can create a docker through wine? I don't know much about docker.

I would recommend running PRTG as the free trial is 100 sensors for ever. Which is perfect for home setups. I think it only runs on windows, not aware of a linux install. Probably be best running it on a windows vm, unless someone can create a docker through wine? I don't know much about docker.
Docker is predominantly a tool for running Linux applications in a container. Windows can run docker (albeit with a lot of ballache) but afaik it's not possible to do it the other way around and run Windows applications on Linux.

Seems to be the perception on the forums at the moment that docker solves everybody's requests for an application, but that's not quite the case.

Best way to think about a docker container is a miniature Linux VM (Not technically correct but a useful analogy)

The other thing people seem to be forgetting is licensing, packaging stuff into a docker container would constitute distribution, therefore you are on very dodgy ground copyright wise redistributing non opensource software.
Wine   

That's a fugly solution and Wine does not work for everything. I know, I've uttered enough swear words to it in the past and since given up with it.

I was particularly meaning "Docker containerised Windows applications on Linux"

Didn't think of Wine I admit, I try not to.....
Which is what MKVCleaver is.  But agree that its a fudge and only works on certain applications
And you know what I mean, which is a containerised application doesn't possess true cross platform compatibility.

You're just being a pedant and playing on my poor language skills!
4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

And you know what I mean, which is a containerised application doesn't possess true cross platform compatibility.

You're just being a pedant and playing on my poor language skills! emoji14.png

Not particularly.  Rather I'm just picking out one line of your post, correcting you, without reading the entire thread to put it into context.  It's more fun that way.

Not particularly.  Rather I'm just picking out one line of your post, correcting you, without reading the entire thread to put it into context.  It's more fun that way.

If we weren't friends, I'd think you were a complete a hole, as it is, I just think you're kind of one.....
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Docker is predominantly a tool for running Linux applications in a container. Windows can run docker (albeit with a lot of ballache) but afaik it's not possible to do it the other way around and run Windows applications on Linux.

Seems to be the perception on the forums at the moment that docker solves everybody's requests for an application, but that's not quite the case.

Best way to think about a docker container is a miniature Linux VM (Not technically correct but a useful analogy)

The other thing people seem to be forgetting is licensing, packaging stuff into a docker container would constitute distribution, therefore you are on very dodgy ground copyright wise redistributing non opensource software.

Thanks for the clarification. I will contact prtg and ask them why they don't have a linux version. I would still recommend it for monitoring in a windows vm, if you have that ability. You will basically get full feature enterprise monitoring for free. Some of the sensors are multi as well. For example some netapp sensors take up 1 sensor but read back 20+ properties in one sensor. So 100 sensors will go a long way at home network. There is also a multidisk sensor which monitors all the disks for free space in one sensor. The api to create custom sensors is also easy. It would be great to see some unraid specific sensor templates. 

• 5 years later...

Hi All, Visiting an old thread! I have recently had problems with my UNRAID Server and it crashes and reboots without warning. I was looking to set up PRTG on a raspberry Pi (looks like they have an alpha for this at the moment). Did anyone ever set this up - or do you know if there are any UNRAID specific PRTG sensors?