Seemingly random crashes/freezes

szernex

Hello, once again I need help.

I got the parts for my budget server on Tuesday and finally managed to get unRAID running on Wednesday. I set up some shares, managed to install a Linux Mint VM and the Resilio Sync Docker and got all mostly working. Except for the fact that the server has crashed at seemingly random intervals once a day since I installed it. On Wednesday it crashed sometime in the afternoon, yesterday it crashed in the evening and tonight some time around 3AM local time. After the second crash yesterday I disabled the VM to rule an issue there out, but to no avail.

The crashes take the form of the server simply not responding, can't access the shares or webGUI and pings not reaching it. What is kinda puzzling to me is that when I turn on the monitor I see the usual login mask and the cursor is actually blinking, but I can't type anything, or at least it's not showing any change.

I have already run memtest for a bit more than one full pass, with no errors. SMART data for the disks don't show any defects either, CPU seems to be running at normal temperatures. The parts I used can be found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zp4qvV

The SSDs, HDDs and 2 of the RAM sticks I'm re-using from existing systems. The SSDs and RAM ran in my main PC until now, the WD Reds in my FreeNAS build, never having had any issues with them. I am using a SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB flash drive as boot drive which was the boot drive for the same FreeNAS build before, again, never had issues with them and they were used for at least a year.

I'm going to try using a different boot drive now, but if anyone has any insight into what might be the issue I'd be very grateful. If you need any logs or something please explain how I can get to those since I'm not that well versed in Linux stuff. Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, CattDamon said:

Did you ever find out a solution to this?  I have a Windows 2016 VM causing Unraid to lock up at 3am every morning.  I'm on version 6.6.6

This thread is over a year old and was talking about a totally different problem and solution than you likely have. Is it really happening consistently at that time? Do you have anything scheduled on the server at that time, such as mover?

Archived