Software Update?

Tom,

I love your unRaid system which is evidenced by the fact that I have two unRaid servers and was an early adopter. However, you need to maintain your credibility and maybe use conditional terms when it comes to the release of new/updated hardware/software.

Just a thought

Regards,

TCIII

The long-awaited update is very very close.  (I know you've heard it before.)  ::)

There are a few reasons for the delay.  First, I'm extremely paranoid about releasing anything that could possibly cause data corruption.  First rule in storage: don't lose the customer's data!  As a result, we check and recheck code changes and perform rigorous testing.  For the upcoming release we moved to a newer kernel (2.4.31) which seems to solve some of the "dma error" problems.

Another delay was caused by one of our development system's hard drive crashing! (I swear this is true!)

Also, as you know this will be the first downloadable update, and I'm anticipating a lot of customers are going to want to update, so we must do all we can to ensure it goes smoothly.

So thank you all for your patience.  Once this first one is done, subsequent releases should be far less painful.

Thanks Tom for the update.  I wish some of these guys would take a chill pill.  Like you, I want to make sure all of my T's are crossed, and i's are dotted before I roll new changes into production.  I swear most of these people have never worked in an IT capacity.  ::)

Another delay was caused by one of our development system's hard drive crashing! (I swear this is true!)

Didn't you once post that your development systems also ran unRaid?  ???

I've always said there are only two kinds of hard-disks... (no, not IDE and SATA)

The two kinds are

• Hard disks that have already crashed
  • Hard disks that have not yet crashed

It is only a matter of time.

Joe L.

Waiting patiently... as Tom feverishly does his pre-release testing.

Tom,

My second UnRaid server does not have any data on the drives yet and is a full up array with all 12 drives installed.

If you would like me to run the OS update on the second server, I would be glad to do so to help you check it out without being worried about corrupting any valuable data.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

Take a look in the annoucements forum.

Am running it right now guys :) So far the interface seems snappier and I've successfully, after some cabling issues, upgraded a drive with it. I'm updating parity now, see some messages in the log, but overall it looks good right now. Need to run awhile to be sure - Tom's added care to make sure the data is "safe" is most appreciated since umm backing up this much data might be pretty hard. It's mostly stuff I could lose and while I'd cry, alot, about some of the MP3, I do have that stuff mostly backed up anyway (lol).

Once Parity is complete I'll try shuffling some data aorund - perhaps tomorrow evening as it's late now. The upgrade was pretty simple BTW and all I had to do was follow Tom's instructions! 8)