My USB drive failed -- what now?

drumstyx

I know there's a wiki page for what to backup on the USB drive, but unless that happens automatically, I'm a dingus and didn't do it.

So now, I've got my USB drive replaced, no biggie, got a replacement key, no biggie, but what about all my configuration?

This happened during a migration to a rackmount chassis, so I actually happened to take a screenshot of what disk goes where -- one drive appears to have failed in the transition (horizontal to vertical maybe? It was an old 1TB anyway) but it had no data, so I'm ok with that, just have to rebuild parity once I'm done.

What about all my apps/plugins/dockers?

Basically, where do I start so I don't lose data? Can I just add disks as before, shares as before, and all will be well? (aside from maybe reinstalling plugins/dockers...no biggie)

6 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

What about all my apps/plugins/dockers?

Docker apps:  You'll have to readd them and set up the paths, etc again.  The actual data within the apps (eg: Plex's database, the mySQL database etc) will all still be intact as its stored on the array (usually the cache drive)

Plugins: You'll have to re-install them.  Generally most plugins have very little set up that you did to them.

10 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

Basically, where do I start so I don't lose data? Can I just add disks as before, shares as before, and all will be well? (aside from maybe reinstalling plugins/dockers...no biggie)

If you can still read the contents of config the config folder on the original flash, then you can just copy that to the new flash, and everything (plugins and docker) will be there ready to go (just don't copy over the replacement key file)

If not, you have a screen shot of your disk assignments - redo them, your shares will be automatically picked up (Although if you had security on them you'll have to redo that)

Net result is that even on a complete redo of the flash drive, setting the system back up the way that it was is fairly painless and won't take that long.

Data is obviously the least replaceable part, but I had some considerable automation set up. User scripts for rcloning to ACD etc.

I had just gotten it all perfectly stable, damn thing had to crap out now! USB controller on the old mobo went, so I had to drop a few hundred on a Ryzen 3 setup. (woe is me :D)

2 minutes ago, drumstyx said:

And thank goodness I got that 1TB drive working (bad backplane on one of my hotswap units it looks like) because dual parity appears to require everything back in place.

Probably a good idea to do a full SMART and parity rebuild anyway though

Single parity requires everything to be back in place too. You can't remove a drive from the array just because you don't want it anymore without going through the proper steps. If you want help with that let us know.

Archived