v6.3.5 - Networking Issues - Unable to Connect

jubutld

Hi

I was on v5. My system was not shutdown cleanly due to a power outage.  It came up but wouldn't connect to the network.  I verified the network.cfg was still correct.  When I plugged my USB into my laptop it said the drive needed to be fixed.  So I did that and rebooted UNRAID, same thing.  So figuring I had some corruption, I followed the instructions for upgrading the 6.3.5 including reformatting my USB and copying over only the required files.  At first boot, in command mode, I had ETH0 with the correct static ip address but pinging anything returned destination unreachable. 

Note, I have been running this for years. Nothing on the network has changed.

So I rebooted into GUI mode.  I goofed around with the static settings to force a save but it still couldn't reach the network.  I changed to DHCP.  It was not able to obtain an IP address.  Upon reboot the mac address in the gui for eth0 is now FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  Changed back to static still cant reach the network and still bad mac address. 

When I try to restart inet1, I get:

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart

not enough information: "type" argument is required
Error: argument "up" is wrong: Device does not exist

RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

The static ip is displayed correctly in the gui in the upper right hand corner. The information, other than the mac address, is correct on the network page.

The syslog doesn't have any errors. No warnings or messages related to eth0.

Thanks!

I looked at your Diagnostics file and I didn't see anything that stuck out.   It says it has a link and the IP address that it is using is 10.10.0.125   and a MAC address of 00:0a:cd:1b:6b:85.   I assume that agrees with what you were expecting to see. 

You might want to look at both ends of the cable and verify that the lights also indicate that the ports are live.  You could also reboot all of the switches and router in the network.  (Occasionally, these things do end with corrupted memory and a restart is required to get them to work right again.)  A bad CAT5 cable is another possibility...

Actually that mac address is different that what it should be.  And in the GUI, it shows the mac address as all FFs.  The old network.cfg had the line HWADDR=E0:91:F5:1B:4D:B7. The new one doesn't have the HWADDR setting.

I did try a different cable. Had it plugged in a port in the router and tried a port in the switch.  All network devices have been restarted. Lights are a blinking on the nic card and on the ports I've plugged it into.  The network is fine. All other devices on it are functioning normally.

In the 7 plus years I have had UNRAID, I've never had a networking issue like this.  I wonder if the NIC card could have gone bad? 

3 minutes ago, jubutld said:

And in the GUI, it shows the mac address as all FFs.

This is obviously wrong.  The MAC address is hardware "wired", cannot be changed and is unique to only that piece of hardware.

7 minutes ago, jubutld said:

I wonder if the NIC card could have gone bad? 

Possible.  You might try the onboard NIC.  (I realize that it is a 10/100 NIC but that would be a quick (and cheap) way to check it out.)

So. After resetting my router/firewall, and all the pain that goes with reconfiguration and then enabled the on-board NIC, unraid came up with both interfaces displaying properly. i configured eth1 then switched the eth0 and 1 so the 0 is now the onboard interface.  Rebooted.  The mac address for the NIC card is back to all FFs and the interface is labeled 120 -- see screenshot. The good news is I am back online and the tower is accessible via the network.  Is the nic card bad?  Unraid bug?  Something else?

2017-10-26_13-09-20.jpg

Your Physical interface is eth0 which is the top one in your post and its MAC address is on the first line of that section.  The other one is probably for the use of one of your docker apps and works through eth0.  (I am not really an expert on what is going on behind the scenes with internal handling of sharing a single physical interface among unRAID and various Docker applications.)

The eth0 is the onboard NIC and the other is the NIC card.   I've ordered a new NIC card and will see if that solves the issue - as in the NIC card went bad.   If not, then I will need developer assistance from Lime.  Note,  I do not have any plugins or anything extra since moving to 6.3.5.

21 hours ago, jubutld said:

So. After resetting my router/firewall, and all the pain that goes with reconfiguration and then enabled the on-board NIC, unraid came up with both interfaces displaying properly. i configured eth1 then switched the eth0 and 1 so the 0 is now the onboard interface.  Rebooted.  The mac address for the NIC card is back to all FFs and the interface is labeled 120 -- see screenshot. The good news is I am back online and the tower is accessible via the network.  Is the nic card bad?  Unraid bug?  Something else?

2017-10-26_13-09-20.jpg

That looks like a hardware issue (broken) NIC, recommended to replace.