First attempt to build an actual server

crazykidguy

My JBOD on my main rig is getting filled quite quickly and I've been dying to build a NAS for years so this year, I'm finally pulling the trigger. However, I need some help picking out components without dropping huge bucks for server-grade hardware that I won't need. 

Budget: as much as a budget gaming PC, around $400 but no real cap

Drives: I've decided to choose the ever popular Lian Li Q25B case so my number of drives will be limited by this case. I'm mainly storing media files but I don't expect my array to outgrow the size of this case for quite a while.

Add-ons: I will be using this rig mainly for Plex (minimum 2 stream support), torrents, and VM's (for project development). The relative add-ons as far as I can tell so far would be:

• Plex Media Server, UnTorrent, VMware Server/ ESXi, Docker( is this considered an add-on?)

The only real part I'm set on is the Lian Li PC-Q25B for the case due to its capacity vs size. So I'm looking for any recommendations CPU + Mobo wise since I'm not familiar with a server build and what exactly I should be looking for. 

The AsRock C236 seems to fit the bill, mostly because of the promotions that's going on right now. ECC ram is not a huge concern of mine since its just video/side project files I would be housing. I'm open to either Team Blue/ Team Red for CPU but I'd rather not deal with Ryzen complications since I'm a novice just starting out. 

For drives, I plan to pick up an 8TB (BestBuy BlackFriday deal) for parity, an SSD for cache, and maybe another 8TB for storage (to start out and grow) or 2 x 4TB's. 

What would you guys recommend as a CPU + Mobo combo? 

Edited by crazykidguy
Added drives section

4 hours ago, miniwalks said:

Friends don’t let friends buy AsRock.

I would stick to SuperMicro or ASUS for quality boards, ideally Server grade with ECC and a mid-class Xeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of folks here have had issues with their AsRock MBs, a number of others have not. Suggest doing your homework on the specific board you are interested in and not avoiding the entire brand.

I've had 2 and both have worked out well for me.

6 hours ago, miniwalks said:

Friends don’t let friends buy AsRock.

I would stick to SuperMicro or ASUS for quality boards, ideally Server grade with ECC and a mid-class Xeon

Really? I thought AsRock Rack's were somewhat decent boards seeing as how they're usually mentioned when talking about a DIY small-form build. 

I have the ASRock Rack C236 WSI in a PC-Q25B case. It’s a good combo. See my sig for specs.

My backup server is also mini-itx in a Fractal node 304 case. Another ASRock board that is functioning well. I guess I did not have friends to warn me off.

I did have an issue with the C236 but ASRock took care of it quickly. Several unRAID users have this same board. It offers features others do not in the mini-itx form factor.

That Newegg price is very good with the 20% off. I paid $200 for mine about a year ago.

So after a bit of digging, I've picked out these parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cXhbqk

Would anyone mind taking a once over on these parts? What I'm most concerned about is the RAM compatibility on this board. ECC is not a big deal for me and server grade memory costs much more than consumer grade. 

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B

Motherboard: AsRock C236 WSI 

CPU: Xeon 1240 V5

RAM: Team Elite Plus - 2x8 GB DDR 2400 (TPD416GM2400HC16DC01)

Cooler: Cryorig C7

PSU: Corsair CX450 80+ Bronze

Planned drives: 

1 x SSD for cache

1 x 8TB WD Red for parity

1 x 4TB WD Red

1 x 3TB WD Red (owned)

What are your plans? If you plan to setup a Windows VM, you might need a bit more memory and a video card. I like to give Windows at least 16G for its own (I give mine 20G), and I'd want unRAID + Dockers to have at least 8G.

For just NAS and Docker use, this should be more than fine.

I can't answer your memory question. Suggest reading the QVL, although I have had good luck with non-QVL in from well-known manufacturers.

17 minutes ago, SSD said:

What are your plans? If you plan to setup a Windows VM, you might need a bit more memory and a video card. I like to give Windows at least 16G for its own (I give mine 20G), and I'd want unRAID + Dockers to have at least 8G.

For just NAS and Docker use, this should be more than fine.

I can't answer your memory question. Suggest reading the QVL, although I have had good luck with non-QVL in from well-known manufacturers.

I'm going to be using this as a Plex server and running a couple of Linux VM's for development and learning purposes so hopefully they won't be needing more than 4 gb's of RAM. 

I won't be running the VM's simultaneously so will this decrease their RAM needs?

I've read the QVL but there's like 6 to choose from for this model mobo. I've seen other RAM being used on partpicker and even Hoopster's signature does not mention him using RAM from the QVL. 

2 hours ago, crazykidguy said:

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B

Motherboard: AsRock C236 WSI 

CPU: Xeon 1240 V5

RAM: Team Elite Plus - 2x8 GB DDR 2400 (TPD416GM2400HC16DC01)

Cooler: Cryorig C7

PSU: Corsair CX450 80+ Bronze

Something to consider re: CPU - The E3 1240 V5 does not have an integrated GPU and the C236 WSI supports video output to onboard video ports only with a CPU with integrated graphics.  The E3 12x5 V5/V6 models are the ones with integrated graphics.  Also, Plex will take advantage of the built-in GPU in Intel CPUs to do hardware encoding if you have a Plexpass.  This greatly reduces the load on the CPU for transcoding operations. I'm loving it on my server.

Look at the price difference between the E3 12xx V5 (Skylake) and E3 12xx V6 (Kaby Lake) CPUs and if it is not much, you should opt for the V6 model.  Your board supports it with BIOS version 2.10 and it is better at encoding/decoding HEVC video than the V5 Skylake.

As to the RAM, your CPU and motherboard support ECC RAM (up to 32GB).  If this will be an always-on, high-use server, it might be worth considering ECC RAM although many will tell you it is not really necessary.  RAM prices are nuts right now.  That RAM you have chosen costs more for 16GB non-ECC than 32GB of unbuffered ECC RAM cost me last year.  I don't blame you for not maxing out the board at 32GB at those prices.  Glad I am not looking to buy server RAM right now.

Edited by Hoopster
3 minutes ago, crazykidguy said:

I've read the QVL but there's like 6 to choose from for this model mobo. I've seen other RAM being used on partpicker and even Hoopster's signature does not mention him using RAM from the QVL. 

I am using RAM not on the QVL on both of my ASRock servers without issue.  Good, name-brand RAM that meets the specs will generally work just fine.