Transfering to new Mobo/Processor/Ram

Vagus

Currently, I've been running my unRAID server since 2012 on the same hardware, an old i3 system in a mini-ITX case. It's currently running v6 of the software but I think it was v5 or v4 even when I first started using unRAID!

I'm looking to upgrade to make my docker applications faster and I have a new motherboard/CPU/ram/case available. I'm wondering what is the best way to upgrade?

Do I need to attach all the drives to the new mobo in the same SATA port order? Is the information/configuration on my USB drive plug and play in the sense I can move the drives to the new case plug them into the new motherboard in whatever port order I need and the configuration will work?

I'm also looking to add 3 new drives to my build at the same time, which means I'll be updating my parity drives anyways. I picked up 2x 10TB WD Golds and want to set that up for my parity.

I've been debating building the new system with new drives only, then installing a 30 day trial of unRAID...transfer all the data from my current NAS to the new NAS via ethernet. Then simply adding the disks from the old build to the new function build and requesting an updated registration key.

What's the best way to move to an entirely updated hardware system, keep my 5 existing drives and add 3 new drives in the process while keeping my data intact? (I don't care about the docker applications, I've been mean to totally redo that). I do have a Plus license.

I recently did a full swap of the core components (I've done this once before). I replaced a Gigabyte MB with 3 Supermicro 8 port contollers with a Supermicro MB and 3 LSI contollers, so definitely the port assignments aren't the same :) It all just came right up without issues. I wouldn't make any changes to the drives until after you've moved to the new MB. Once all that is good, then start the process for upgrading the Parity drive(s). Check the docs for doing that. Once you are upgraded to the new parity, then go through the preclear steps for the new data drive(s).

Here's a pic of when I tested it out before doing the actual swap :)

IMG_20171119_105222.thumb.png.f9589d63892ee9938d45fd45d3a9f0fd.png

Completely agree with Adrian that you should be able to just move the old drives across, but I'd do a combination of the two options.  First I'd stand up the new system with the new drives and a trial key - just to make sure all the hardware is working, compatible, etc.  Then when you have confidence in the new hardware, temporarily remove the new drives and move over the old drives and USB.  Boot it up, and get the old disks, dockers, etc. running on the new system.  Once that is all set put the new drives back in and setup your new parity.

2 hours ago, Vagus said:

Currently, I've been running my unRAID server since 2012 on the same hardware, an old i3 system in a mini-ITX case. It's currently running v6 of the software but I think it was v5 or v4 even when I first started using unRAID!

I'm looking to upgrade to make my docker applications faster and I have a new motherboard/CPU/ram/case available. I'm wondering what is the best way to upgrade?

Do I need to attach all the drives to the new mobo in the same SATA port order? Is the information/configuration on my USB drive plug and play in the sense I can move the drives to the new case plug them into the new motherboard in whatever port order I need and the configuration will work?

I'm also looking to add 3 new drives to my build at the same time, which means I'll be updating my parity drives anyways. I picked up 2x 10TB WD Golds and want to set that up for my parity.

I've been debating building the new system with new drives only, then installing a 30 day trial of unRAID...transfer all the data from my current NAS to the new NAS via ethernet. Then simply adding the disks from the old build to the new function build and requesting an updated registration key.

What's the best way to move to an entirely updated hardware system, keep my 5 existing drives and add 3 new drives in the process while keeping my data intact? (I don't care about the docker applications, I've been mean to totally redo that). I do have a Plus license.

This is a remarkably easy thing to do. Simply install the new motherboard with CPU and RAM onboard, attach the drives in to your SATA ports in any order, plug up your drives, and boot from your USB disk. You might take a screenshot of the main unRAID web page showing all your drives and slots in case something were to go wrong, but likely won't be needed.

unRAID reinstalls with every boot. So in a real sense, EVERY boot is on new hardware for unRAID. When you boot with the new MB/CPU, It will recognize your new hardware and install into RAM for that. Drives are recognized by their serial number, not their slot number. Users are amazed when they do an upgrade and its as easy as it is.

BUT, before you do this, you really want to test our the server and memory thoroughly. Run memtest for 24 hours or longer, Maybe boot a trial of unRAID with no disks or your new disk and have a look in the syslog for any strange errors or warnings. You can even create an array with the new disks. But once you are confident, do the above and you should be good to go.

While doing a fresh build you might consider investing in some of these for your drives (see link below). They are an indispensable accessory for me, allowing me to exchange disks without disturbing the sensitive wiring the so easily gets nudged when swapping disks and creates havoc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-CSE-M35T-1B-5-x-3-5-Hot-Swap-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/322879392725?hash=item4b2d1c8bd5:g:B~8AAOSw8b1aCP4m

You might rethink the need for 2 parities if your array is less than 12 or 15 disks. It provides a modicum of extra protection, but if you have solid connections and your main risk is actually disk failure, the chances of dual parity saving your bacon are awfully small. The hotswap bays are more likely to save you than dual parity IMO. Given that one parity is protecting you from 97% of failures, and the second might only provide 1/2% more protection, it is hard for me to wholehearedly recommend big dollars on the second one. But I've been doing this for a long time and know what to do when things go wrong, so that is part of the equation too. Dual parity can help protect yourself from yourself. (Not an absolute, but that's its biggest value IMO.) Up to you, but I know those 10T guys are expensive! And that's a lot of space for media!

Post if any questions or problems.

Was just looking for this kinda topic / answer...

Finished my setup a few days ago and thinking about going from an i7 to a Xeon so a new board, cpu and ram for the machine and just just thinking about how cool it was to just shut down take apart board and cpu and place the new hw on the machine... and just power on! and it seems it is that simple! worthy every penny unRAID!

Br,

Archived