Operating System Not Found - Supermicro X7SBE

Hello all, I need some help.

It's my first unraid build and I'm feeling like an idiot.  I got my Supermicro X7SBE-O based system put together and all seems to be working fine on that end.  But, I can't get the damn thing to boot from USB into unraid.

I believe that I have carefully followed all of the directions available here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

But have still failed to find success.  I've made bootable floppys and CDs before, but I've never had the need for a bootable USB.

I have a Sandisk Cruzer micro 2g stick.  I have an XP laptop that I have been trying to build the USB stick from.  

• I've tried formatting as FAT32 and FAT.

I've tried both Windows formatting and the HP formatting tool.  

I've tried the U3 software removal tool, but that didn't seem to do anything (no U3 software?). But the BIOS still lists it as the "Sandisk U3 Cruzer Micro"

I've tried installing syslinux from both the run menu option and from command line.  

I've tried every USB port that the motherboard has.

I did not update the BIOS because, according to Supermicro's site, I already have the latest version (1.2a).

I am attempting to use the latest unraid build (4.5.3).  Free for now, but I plan on buying Pro once I get this working.

All of the above attempts have yielded the same result: "No Operating System Found"...

I will attach images of both what my USB files look like and what my BIOS boot options screen looks like.

As you can see, the BIOS sees the USB drive, but it lists it in the "excluded from boot order" list.  This is true regardless of which USB port it is plugged into.  Despite the BIOS options that appear to be available on the right, those only do anything with the drives listed in the "boot priority" list.  The only option that does anything to the drives listed in the excluded column is "<shift + 1> enables or disables a device", but that doesn't help either.  In fact, I think that it was already enabled and using that option disabled it.

Looking at my USB I cannot see the hidden file "ldlinux.sys".  The image attached is with the view hidden files option enabled.  Is this my problem?  Am I not properly installing syslinux?

I am a unraid, linux, and USB booting newbie, but I can follow directions and have a slightly better than average understanding of computers in general (I've built my last three systems myself).  But, I've come to the point at which I've exhausted my knowledge/tried all the options/don't know what to try next....

HELP HELP HELP

Thanks in advance,

John

Unraid_USB.jpg.2d26799d36479471d3bf664b3f9f36a7.jpg

Bios_Boot_screen.jpg.2c04849292914062092b2a5917bb00fd.jpg

Looking at my USB I cannot see the hidden file "ldlinux.sys".  The image attached is with the view hidden files option enabled.  Is this my problem?  Am I not properly installing syslinux?

Correct.  You have not installed syslinux correctly.

You must perform that step in a DOS window as "Administrator" if under Vista or Windows 7.

Under Win-XP you should be able to run it in a DOS window.  Just be sure to use the correct drive letter for your flash drive.

You must FIRST remove the U3 software, before you use the HP tool.    It sounds as if you used it.  Are you sure you gave it the correct drive letter?  The name in the BIOS will not change, so don't worry if it still says U3 in its name.

The big clue is the lack of the ldlinux.sys file. 

Exactly what command are you typing to load syslinx on your flash drive?  I know I had huge problems getting my 1Gig Sandisk Cruiser to boot.  It was before it was known that you needed to use the "-ma" options to syslinux.  (are you using them?)

Joe L.

I originally tried to extract syslinux to it's own folder, but after that did not yield a bootable USB, I extracted it directly to my C: drive.  Then I used (first in the run menu and later in the command line) "c:\syslinux.exe -ma f:"

Is "f:" different from "F:"?

The USB drive light flashed as though it was being accessed, but as you and I, noticed, it didn't seem to to anything.

When I ran the U3 removal tool, it returned some error which led me to believe that it had found no U3 software to remove.

Still not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I'm using a Win XP laptop, but I have a Vista computer that I can use.  However, I assumed that using the Vista rig would potentially complicate things.  I figured that using XP would make it easier/make no difference.

Is there any other way to install syslinux on a USB?  I don't know why this isn't working, but I'd be willing to try a different method.

Try using the number keys on your keyboard 1-4 (press 1 then 2 then3 then 4, etc).

I'll give that a try, but it seems as though I'm installing syslinux incorrectly....

As I mentioned above, I can't see (in windows) a ldlinux.sys file on my USB.  I have show hidden files selected.  I have followed (I think) directions from the unraid wiki and then later instructions from several other sources.  No matter what I do, I still don't see ldlinux.sys on my drive.

I don't get it....

Try using the number keys on your keyboard 1-4 (press 1 then 2 then3 then 4, etc).

I'll give that a try, but it seems as though I'm installing syslinux incorrectly....

As I mentioned above, I can't see (in windows) a ldlinux.sys file on my USB.  I have show hidden files selected.  I have followed (I think) directions from the unraid wiki and then later instructions from several other sources.  No matter what I do, I still don't see ldlinux.sys on my drive.

I don't get it....

You also need to have "show system files" enabled to see it.  It might be there.

Joe L.

When I ran the U3 removal tool, it returned some error which led me to believe that it had found no U3 software..

Pay attention to what it says there.

When you plug in the flash disk into your XP, does only one new disk letter appear, or two?

Also, which version of syslinux are you using?

As you can see, the BIOS sees the USB drive, but it lists it in the "excluded from boot order" list.  This is true regardless of which USB port it is plugged into.  Despite the BIOS options that appear to be available on the right, those only do anything with the drives listed in the "boot priority" list.  The only option that does anything to the drives listed in the excluded column is "<shift + 1> enables or disables a device", but that doesn't help either.  In fact, I think that it was already enabled and using that option disabled it.

I have the same motherboard. I remember I had to fiddle a little with the default BIOS settings to get the system to boot from USB for the first time. Basically you have to have the USB stick in the top list (Boot priority order). In my case that list was already full with other devices, so I could not add anything to it until I freed a slot.

You first have to delete at least one device from the "boot priority order list". I am not sure how, but looking at the screen you posted I believe you have to select the device, then press "x". Once you created at least a free slot in the top list, you'll be able to add you USB drive to it from the bottom list. I would then just move you USB drive to the top of the list, just to be sure the system is not trying to boot from a different device.

Beats me why Supermicro would choose to implement such a convoluted way to change the boot priority.  ::)

You first have to delete at least one device from the "boot priority order list". I am not sure how, but looking at the screen you posted I believe you have to select the device, then press "x". Once you created at least a free slot in the top list, you'll be able to add you USB drive to it from the bottom list. I would then just move you USB drive to the top of the list, just to be sure the system is not trying to boot from a different device.

Beats me why Supermicro would choose to implement such a convoluted way to change the boot priority.  ::)

Success!  I never thought of there being a limited number of potential boot devices.  After moving one out of the included list, I was able to move the USB drive into the included list.  Worked like a charm.  Many thanks to all for your help.

Pay attention to what it says there.

I ran it again and everything worked fine.  Not sure what gave me the impression that it didn't work the first time.

You also need to have "show system files" enabled to see it.

Oops, that was it...it was there all along

Thanks all

• 3 months later...

I've gone through this very same thing step by step.  I've gotten to the point where I no longer get the 'no operating system found' and have my flash drive as the #1 boot priority (actually it's the only thing now listed).  Now when I boot the machine the fans fly and nothing shows on screen.  I can't get to the screen where I have a menu to choose between unRAID or memtst.  I have a blank screen.  Any thoughts on this?

My hard drives all show, btw in the BIOS.

By having:  All USB Key, All USB HDD AND USB HDD: Flirefly (the flash drive I am using) all listed in the boot order list (top list of the one shown in first post) I have been able to get to the unRAID or memtst choices. 

I am now running the memtst.

I've added this in case anyone else gets stuck at this particular step.  This isn't easy, is frustrating, but fun.  I've only build one computer from scratch before.  I have no Linux experience.  One step at a time, I guess!

Success!  I never thought of there being a limited number of potential boot devices.  After moving one out of the included list, I was able to move the USB drive into the included list.  Worked like a charm.  Many thanks to all for your help.

If you put the USB stick and then power on the system, the USB will be shown with its own label in the list of bootable devices.

• 2 weeks later...