unRAID Server Release 4.5.4 Available

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a bit of feedback.. ... .. my writes to 4.5.4 with parity drive configured are kicking ass.  I've got 1 box uploading at 72mbps and another box uploading at the same time.  I don't have a meter on that box.. but it's definately NOT crawling.  :) 

Very impressed with the speeds on the new release.    ;D

dumb question  ;D    I have not run a parity check this month (I usually run one each month), should this be run before I upgrade the OS?  Does this matter?  Thanks

It does not really matter.

I'd do one after you upgrade.  Just to make sure all is well.

Joe L.

Guest koramkim

I just installed the unraid 4.5.4 on my main server only and works just fine. I need help on moving two 1tb hard drives from my second servers into my main server. I'd like to keep all data that is in the two 1tb drives in the second server. can I move the two 1tb drives to main server and not loose data? would it be okay to just move it over and let parity check do the work??

I've problem upgrading from 4.4.2 to any version of 4.5.  For 4.5.3 and 4.5.4, I can get to the login prompt on the console.  So, I thought everything looks good.  However, I cannot get to Tower from the Web GUI nor Windows Networks.  My main board is ECS G43T-M.  I appreciate any helps so I can take advantage of faster speed of 4.5.  Thanks in advance.

Try accessing the web interface by the IP address directly.  On the unRAID console, type in 'ifconfig' to see the IP address.  Once you have that, type something like this into your browser:

http://192.168.0.100/main.htm  (using your server's IP address instead of this one, of course).

I found the IP address for 4.4.2 without problem.  For 4.5.4, I don't see the inet addr: line in eth0 group.  The next line in 4.4.2 is "UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST".  for 4.5.4, I got "UP BROADCAST MULTICAST".  

It seems like networking is the issue here.  I am using Intel Gigabit ethernet card (not on board ECS ethernet port).  What can I do to resolve this issue?  Thanks.

Try accessing the web interface by the IP address directly.  On the unRAID console, type in 'ifconfig' to see the IP address.  Once you have that, type something like this into your browser:

http://192.168.0.100/main.htm  (using your server's IP address instead of this one, of course).

I found the IP address for 4.4.2 without problem.  For 4.5.4, I don't see the inet addr: line in eth0 group.  The next line in 4.4.2 is "UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST".  for 4.5.4, I got "UP BROADCAST MULTICAST".  

It seems like networking is the issue here.  I am using Intel Gigabit ethernet card (not on board ECS ethernet port).  What can I do to resolve this issue?  Thanks.

Can't help you without a system log.  In your case, since no network connectivity, after booting the server, do this:

Login at console (username "root", no password), and type this command:

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

Now power down the server using this command

powerdown

Remove the Flash, plug into PC.  The system log is the file 'syslog.txt' on the Flash.

From what I can see, on the newer 4.5.4 release of unRAID, the Intel network controller is being detected as eth1.

May 22 19:46:44 Tower kernel: e1000 0000:04:03.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20

May 22 19:46:44 Tower kernel: e1000: 0000:04:03.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 00:07:e9:0a:11:ff

May 22 19:46:44 Tower kernel: e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel® PRO/1000 Network Connection

Your other on-board ethernet controller is being detected as eth0, and no LAN cable is plugged into it, so no network connection is detected.

May 22 19:46:44 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1411]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.

May 22 19:46:44 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1411]: Using interface eth0/00:25:11:0E:4B:C9 with driver <ATL1E> (version: 1.0.0.7-NAPI)

May 22 19:46:44 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1411]: Using detection mode: SIOCETHTOOL

May 22 19:46:44 Tower ifplugd(eth0)[1411]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

May 22 19:46:44 Tower kernel: ATL1E 0000:03:00.0: irq 27 for MSI/MSI-X

It is possible that in earlier versions of unRAID the second on-board ethernet controller was assigned eth1 (and the hardware initialized in a different order so the Intel controller was assigned eth0) Or, equally likely, your second on-board controller was not supported at all in the earlier version of unRAID, and is the reason you added the Intel LAN controller.

The solution is for you to disable the on-board ECS ethernet port in your motherboard's BIOS.  If you do that, you'll find that the Intel controller will be the only LAN connection found, and it will be assigned eth0, and you'll have the connectivity to your router.  (unRAID only uses eth0)

Of course, now that the ECS ethernet controller is supported, you could just move the LAN cable to it, and not use the Intel LAN controller at all.  (I don't know the reason you originally added it, but I'm guessing the LAN controller on your motherboard was initially unsupported when you first loaded unRAID 4.4.2 and that a driver has been added to unRAID for it since then.)

Joe L.

Thank you Joe.  I disabled the on-board LAN and it works perfectly now.

While searching around on the forum for solution, I ran across several of your responses to help others.  Your communication is always succinct and professional.  You are an invaluable resource to the forum.  Thanks again.

Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.

Just curious why.

Can someone point me to instructions to change irq for devices.  I tried to installa pci sata controller cad and it defaults to the same IRQ as my ethernet and I keep getting disconnected from the server.  TIA.

Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.

Just curious why.

Because the old 'restore' button was the number 1 cause of accidental data loss in unRAID.  It was very poorly labeled, it should have been labeled something like 'Delete Parity and Initialize Configuration'.  When many people saw the word 'Restore,' they (quite naturally) would think 'Oh good, this button will restore the data from my failed disk'.  In the case of a failed disk (and in a few other cases), this button did just the opposite - it wiped out any chances of recovering that data.

Many of us petitioned LimeTech to rename the button over the years, but we couldn't come up with a better name while staying succinct.  Therefore, LimeTech decided to just get rid of the button entirely - but not the functionality.  The new 'initconfig' function is only useful in very particular scenarios, and in most cases a less experienced user will be seeking help on these forums in those scenarios anyway.  Therefore, it makes sense (to me at least) to remove the button but retain the functionality through a console/telnet command.

By the way, I used 'initconfig' just last night and it worked perfectly.  It is an instantaneous command, so you can run it from telnet then close the telnet window - no need to keep it open like you have to do in certain other cases (preclear, for example).  Once running the command from telnet or the system console, you can initiate the parity build from the web management page (which also does not need to be kept open).

Just curious why.

Too many prople pressed it when they had a failed disk thinking it restored their data.  Instead, it set a new initial configuration based on the then assigned and working disks. It immediately invalidated their parity making re-construction of the failed disk impossible.    In other words, it caused data loss when pressed at the wrong time.

Can someone point me to instructions to change irq for devices.  I tried to installa pci sata controller cad and it defaults to the same IRQ as my ethernet and I keep getting disconnected from the server.  TIA.

Try a different slot on the motherboard.  Other than that, it is a BIOS function.  Not sure if the unRAID OS does the IRQ assignment at all.

You might also disable the serial port and parallel port on the motherboard to free up an interrupt or two.

Try a different slot on the motherboard.  Other than that, it is a BIOS function.  Not sure if the unRAID OS does the IRQ assignment at all.

You might also disable the serial port and parallel port on the motherboard to free up an interrupt or two.

Didn't work.  You think adding a pci card instead of the onboard ethernet might work?

That might be one way, another would be to try some of the boot codes that modify the interrupt handling

1) noapic nolapic

OR

2) noapic acpi=noirq

OR

3) noapic acpi=off

OR

4) noapictimer

OR

5) noapictimer irqpoll

OR

6) noapic acpi=off

OR

7) noapic acpi=noirq nolapic

These would be added to the syslinux.cfg file on your flash drive as described in the wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Boot_Codes

• 2 weeks later...

Win7 has a nasty habit of keeping files open. This has been discussed here before (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5004.0) and (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5067.0). We did find some workarounds but only limited success.

For open files try BubbaQ's latest goodie...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5658.0

From console as root do a cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max to see what open files is currently set to.

Then do

smb-extra.conf

Modify the following

[global]

max open files = 100000 (or something say twice waht Joes utility shows)

You could also try changing ulimit -Hn and ulimit -n

"ulimit -Hn 20000" to the /boot/config/ident.cfg

"ulimit -n 20000" to the /boot/config/ident.cfg

Hopefully this is finally addressed in unRAID vNext with Samba 3.5

Samba 3.5 mar 1 2010 has a fix for

BUG 6837: Fix "Too many open files" when trying to access large number of

files with Windows 7.

I believe we are running 3.4.5 with 4.5.4. It would be worth looking to see if there is a patch for bug 6837 that you can install...or try my suggestions above.

Hopefully this is finally addressed in unRAID vNext with Samba 3.5

Samba 3.5 mar 1 2010 has a fix for

BUG 6837: Fix "Too many open files" when trying to access large number of

files with Windows 7.

I believe we are running 3.4.5 with 4.5.4. It would be worth looking to see if there is a patch for bug 6837 that you can install...ot try my suggestion above.

So when is unraid 4.5.x with Samba3.5 going to be released?

B2

I don't drop by to often as this product is normally rock solid for me.  (hardware tower is direct from Limetech)

I did not come by this time with a problem but noticed there have been some upgrades since last time.  I've attempted to upgrade from 4.5 to 4.5.4 and it would not come back online.

I copied the files bzimage and bzroot to my flash drive.  I made backups first so I took the flash drive from the tower and copied the files back.  ver 4.5 is back running fine.

Did I attempt the upgrade incorrectly?  It was not clear but I thought those are the files needed.

If logs of some kind are needed.  I'll provide them.  But I'll need instructions on how to get them.

I suppose I should hook up a monitor and keyboard next time I try this.  :)

Wow.  searching my email shows its a MD-1500/LL that I bought in 2007.  I had no idea I've had it that long.  I use it for backups. replication and mass storage.  Its a vital part of my network.

Keep up the good work.  I often tell people to check out UnRAID on various forums.