Parity Disk Error... noob needs help.... It happened again

Waterboy77

Just poking at the PSU topic for a little bit...  650w should be fine for 7 drives.  It looks like that PSU can be run in either single 12v rail mode or multiple 12v rails.  Make sure you are running in single 12v rail mode or that you aren’t overloading a rail if you are running in multiple.

What case/drive cages are you running?

4 minutes ago, tdallen said:

Just poking at the PSU topic for a little bit...  650w should be fine for 7 drives.  It looks like that PSU can be run in either single 12v rail mode or multiple 12v rails.  Make sure you are running in single 12v rail mode or that you aren’t overloading a rail if you are running in multiple.

What case/drive cages are you running?

Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by or how you check for single vs multiple 12v rails

Case is a NORCO RPC-4308 4U

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Parity dropped offline, you'll need to reboot to get new diags with a SMART report.

Did you swap the drive to another slot since the first error like I suggested? I like to do this because if the same drive fails again you can rule out the lot/cables

OK

No I wanted to see if it was just a seating error (might still be) but I will move it this time

Thoughts on checking all the screws and that on the boards?

Can I un seat, tighten and reseat without issues?

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

RM650i is multi rail, not the best choice for a storage server, but since each rail has 40amps and you only have 7 drives it's more than enough.

So don't worry?

11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

RM650i is multi rail, not the best choice for a storage server, but since each rail has up to 40 amps and you only have 7 drives it's more than enough.

Are there really any available statistics showing issues with using a PSU that has multiple power rails, i.e. having multiple over-current circuits?

In the end, any situation that results in the over-current protection being activated means there is something seriously wrong with the system (or the user has been playing around very creatively with splitter cables) in which case the main concern is to keep down on burned electronics.

22 minutes ago, pwm said:

Are there really any available statistics showing issues with using a PSU that has multiple power rails, i.e. having multiple over-current circuits?

The only issue it's just lack of power compared to a single rail PSU of the same wattage, e.g., I use a Corsair CX500M with 12 disks, let's say each disk needs 2A on the 12v line for spin-up, so they need 24 amps, the CX500M is single rail with 38 amps on the 12v line, so enough for the disks and what's leftover is also enough for board, cpu, ram, etc, now compare that with e.g. a Seasonic S12 II 520w, multirail with 2 x 20A rails, one rail is not enough for the all disks so although both have about the same total power multirail supports fewer disks.

I've had disks drop offline in a similar manner while using a older multi-rail PSU that could no longer supply rated amperage to each rail.  Mind you, I think Johnie's suggestion to try another slot is the obvious next step, but since this situation is puzzling here's the PSU information:

image.png.ac8b92c72539a6fe4aff273069e80d73.png

I don't know whether the RM650i defaults to single or multi-rail.

Ok so I did the following

- stopped array, shut down, checked screws, moved 8tb (parity) drive from D-1 to D-2 slot, powered up, stopped array, unassigned, started array, stopped array, assigned parity, check for rebuild and started array back up....

Hope that's right based on past info...?...

Parity drive is also now on a different board as top one connects top 4 hdd's and bottom board, bottom 4 hdd's

A couple of screws on the mount for the cards where loose.... not anymore.

Attached is diag. and smart

I struggle with it being a power thing as the other drives that are powered by the same "board" have yet to show an issue when this parity craps out. But I'm a noob so....

tower-smart-20171223-1456.zip

tower-diagnostics-20171223-1451.zip

33 minutes ago, pwm said:

In the end, any situation that results in the over-current protection being activated means there is something seriously wrong with the system (or the user has been playing around very creatively with splitter cables) in which case the main concern is to keep down on burned electronics.

It's a bit tricky because that isn't how better PSU normally work.

They either supply a higher current (where you would add up to much higher than the total capacity) and then put a total power limit.

The Corsair HX750 for example have 4 rails each specifying 40A - that would be be a total of 160A or 1920W. But they then specify that the total from all four rails combined is 750W.

Some other manufacturers claims 20A per rail - like the ATX standard specifies. Where 20A + 20A might actually be the total for the PSU. But the individual current limiters aren't at 20A so the PSU supports 25A + 15A as a way to reach a total of 480W for the 12V rails.

I don't know about what policies Seasonic has, but it is extremely uncommon for a better multi-rail PSU to not allow uneven current on the different rails to reach the total rated power. Extra special here is that Seasonic S12 II is actually a single-rail PSU that is even without over-current protection. 12V1 and 12V2 are internally the same. So as long as the wiring harness can allow it, you can draw 30A + 10A from the two rails.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

SMART still looks good, though an healthy SMART report doesn't always mean healthy drive, with the slot now ruled out, if it happens again to the same disk then it's probably a bad disk.

I'm running a short smart test.... is the result something you want to see?

24 minutes ago, tdallen said:

I've had disks drop offline in a similar manner while using a older multi-rail PSU that could no longer supply rated amperage to each rail.

An important issue here is that there are extremely few PSU that has individual voltage regulation for multiple rails. Multiple rails normally just means there are multiple over-current circuits, since the original ATX specification demanded a limitation of the maximum current. And the over-current circuit isn't likely to degrade so it starts to trig at a lower current. It's more likely that the PSU as whole has some bad components so it can't produce the total combined power - irrelevant of how the power was splitted into multiple rails.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Some may work like that, some not, but why risk it if a single rail works for sure and costs the same?

You can normally find the information in the datasheet. The interesting thing is that Seasonic on the other hand does not present correct information on their web page - they claim the PSU is multi-rail while it isn't.

The issue here is that you can get into serious troubles if you have a single 80A circuit when the majority of consumers will require less than 1A. There can be a huge amount of smoke and fire without the PSU breaking the circuit. That was also why the original ATX specification demanded a maximum of 20A and that more power had to be split into multiple rails. It's just that the manufacturers have normally not cared about setting the hard limit at 20A because that doesn't work well with real-world computer hardware.

Anyway - this is how many PSU manufacturers specifies their rating. If they have a multi-rail supply and doesn't specify something like this, then it's better to stay away from the PSU (switch to the specs tab - I can't link to it):

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx750-750-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu-na

54 minutes ago, tdallen said:

I don't know whether the RM650i defaults to single or multi-rail.

I missed the RM650i has a configurable 12v rail, single or multi, when first looking at the specs only noticed the second box, I did think it was strange since most Corsairs are single rail, in that case I would guess single rail is the default.

Archived