Issues with new budget box recommended build (BIOSTAR A760G M2+)

pfp

So I just finished building the recommended budget box: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#Budget_Box.  I didn't purchase the SATA card yet.

I have 5 2tb Hitachi drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145276) attached to the first 5 SATA ports on the MB.  Issue #1 - The first 4 drives show up as sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd.  The fifth drive is hda.  Why is the fifth one hd instead of sd?

Second issue - I'm getting a bunch of ACPI errors (log attached). I did upgrade to the latest BIOS.

Can anyone please help point me in the right direction to get this corrected.

log.txt

i have that same board and you have to configure AHCI in the bios for the drives past the 4rth Sata port to show up as sd

The default on many BIOS is to have the fist 4 drives emulate IE drives.  You need to take set the BIOS to not perform that emulation..  The drives will then not show up as /dev/hd? but as /dev/sd?  You'll need to re-assign them on the "Devices" page.

Thank you all

Changed OnChip SATA Type to AHCI in the Southbridge configuration.

I'm still getting this ACPI error but I suspect it might be safe to ignore (at least it's not red)

May 26 07:13:37 MMS kernel: ACPI Error (psargs-0359): [ECEN] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
May 26 07:13:37 MMS kernel: ACPI Error (psparse-0537): Method parse/execution failed [\] (Node c14760c8), AE_NOT_FOUND

In order to fix the sd? vs hd? issue I had to disable SATA IDE combined mode also in the Southbridge configuration screen

Good stuff.  Perhaps we should start a thread or wiki entry that details a walkthrough of how to configure the recommended builds to make it even easier for people.

Edit: I created this section based on the language in this thread and the rest from memory.  If anyone notices any mistakes or thinks anything is missing, please post here or make the change yourself.

Recommended Build (US Version) First Time Configuration

Great idea, Raj.  I'm glad to see this 4th drive issue as I am already looking to upgrade and thus buy an actual licensed version.  Saves me some frustration.

Good stuff.  Perhaps we should start a thread or wiki entry that details a walkthrough of how to configure the recommended builds to make it even easier for people.

Edit: I created this section based on the language in this thread and the rest from memory.  If anyone notices any mistakes or thinks anything is missing, please post here or make the change yourself.

Edit: I created this section based on the language in this thread and the rest from memory.  If anyone notices any mistakes or thinks anything is missing, please post here or make the change yourself.

Not sure that it's necessary, or recommended, but I like to disable things that won't be used such as the floppy drive, serial port and parallel port all on the Advanced > Super I/O screen.  Also on this screen is Restore on A/C power loss for which Last State may be the better setting.

Advanced > Power Configuration:  

Should ACPI be V1, V2, or V3 (V1 is the default)?  

Also suspend mode should be S3, no? (S1 is the default)

Power on by lan should be enabled if you want to use that feature

Bios manual:

http://www.box.net/shared/lfrtp046zi

How are your drives mounted?  If you are using drive cages with dedicated fans (either internal or external), then you shouldn't need extra case fans.

I'm unsure about the power settings.  I think I left all mine default.  I also didn't disable any of the ports, but I don't see any problem with doing so.

Four drives are mounted in the drive cage that came with the case.  The fifth is in the floppy/HD mount.  Running preclear the four are at 37-38 degrees while the fifth is at 44.  I just purchased the extra Cooler Master drive cage so that will probably take care of it.  Was thinking the extra fans couldn't hurt but I'll wait and see how this goes.

Thank you

Four drives are mounted in the drive cage that came with the case.  The fifth is in the floppy/HD mount.  Running preclear the four are at 37-38 degrees while the fifth is at 44.  I just purchased the extra Cooler Master drive cage so that will probably take care of it.  Was thinking the extra fans couldn't hurt but I'll wait and see how this goes.

Thank you

That 5th drive could benefit from a fan blowing air across it.  Perhaps you can mount a small fan close to it until you move everything to the other drive cage.

44 is a bit high for my comfort level.

As long as each drive or set of drives has a dedicated fan, I wouldn't worry about installing any extra case fans.  The stock CPU cooler should be fine as well.

Though for the centurion 590 case you can pick these up as they are pretty cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052

Under $20 for 4 120mm fans. I installed two in mine and have the other 2 for spares.

Completely agree about the stock CPU heatsink and fan, that chip runs so cool as it is.

As long as each drive or set of drives has a dedicated fan, I wouldn't worry about installing any extra case fans.  The stock CPU cooler should be fine as well.

That 5th drive is in the "floppy" mount location. It probably does not have its own fan.

This is a great idea, I have almost this exact setup and a friend of mine is looking to possibly build one. The BIOS configuration you posted are the same changes I had to make. I'll look through my BIOS when I get a chance and see if there is anything else that I changed.

As long as each drive or set of drives has a dedicated fan, I wouldn't worry about installing any extra case fans.  The stock CPU cooler should be fine as well.

That 5th drive is in the "floppy" mount location. It probably does not have its own fan.

Well, I assumed that was a temporary situation until his new drive cage arrives.  If he plans to keep it there permanently, then I agree it needs it's own fan, or at least should be replaced with a low heat green drive.

As long as each drive or set of drives has a dedicated fan, I wouldn't worry about installing any extra case fans.  The stock CPU cooler should be fine as well.

Though for the centurion 590 case you can pick these up as they are pretty cheap:

Under $20 for 4 120mm fans. I installed two in mine and have the other 2 for spares.

Completely agree about the stock CPU heatsink and fan, that chip runs so cool as it is.

I was considering that but noticed that the fans only come with the 3 pin connectors.  Since the MB only has one fan connector I'd also need molex adapters.  Also read that sleeve bearings (which these fans use) will likely develop problems installed in a horizontal position, which would be half of them in this case.  Decided to just try the drive cage alone.  The drives are the only concern I have and I suspect this will take care of it just fine.

Well, I assumed that was a temporary situation until his new drive cage arrives.  If he plans to keep it there permanently, then I agree it needs it's own fan, or at least should be replaced with a low heat green drive.

You assume correctly. 

I have a ceiling fan in the room so I'll probably reposition the case to take advantage of that till the new cage arrives. 

I was considering that but noticed that the fans only come with the 3 pin connectors.  Since the MB only has one fan connector I'd also need molex adapters.  Also read that sleeve bearings (which these fans use) will likely develop problems installed in a horizontal position, which would be half of them in this case.  Decided to just try the drive cage alone.  The drives are the only concern I have and I suspect this will take care of it just fine.

Sleeve bearing are quieter than ball bearing and the life of a sleeve bearing fan can be reduced but isn't always the case, under high heat conditions their life is reduced. But they are cheap and even if you only get a couple years out of them, there are two extra to swap out. You are right, they are 3 pin connectors, I don't think they did come with adapters, in my case I had some 3 pin to molex connectors laying around and used  them. Yeah, I think the fans in front of your drives will probably take care of cooling them.

Archived