Full Slackware install trouble

xamindar

I'm trying to update my full slackware install from using unraid 4.5.1 to 4.5.4 but something has stopped working. I updated udev and rebuilt the kernel. But now I get no /dev/disk/by-label links at all so it is unable to mount the flash. Can someone help me understand what creates those links and how to get it working again? I have been googling around for an hour now and am unable to find any explanation to what manages this. It looks like udev does but I have no idea where the "rules" to do it are. Nothing has been changed under /etc/udev. Thanks for any help.

What Slackware version are you using?  I think 4.5.4 is somewhere between 13.0 and the newly released 13.1.  I have it running on 13.0 now.  I did have it running on the 64-bit version of 13.1, but had a few issues (which I also had on 13.0 32-bit until I redid everything and made changes one by one).

If you're running the 32bit version of 13.0, I have a kernel download you could use that already has everything setup for you.  It is a bit bloated (eventually gave up and enabled nearly every scsi option to get it to work under kvm), but it should get the job done.

Well, I used kernel 2.6.32.10 but used the .config from the unraid 4.5.1 kernel (make oldconfig) because it worked before and I had customized quite a few things that applied to my hardware. Is there something in the kernel that would affect dev devices showing up that I could have missed?

You might need the newer .config file from 4.5.4

Also, according to the release notes, the udev release was upgraded in 4.5.3.

#  Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9

# Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.

# Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.

You might need the newer .config file from 4.5.4

Also, according to the release notes, the udev release was upgraded in 4.5.3.

#  Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9

# Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.

# Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.

That's the same udev version that Slackware 13.0 is running.  I think 4.5.4 was built off Slackware-current at the time of release (after 13.0, but before 13.1).

Looks like it was udev. I had been on udev 141 before and thought I might as well update it to the current which is 153. Bad idea I guess. I downgraded it back to 141 last night before going to bed. Turned it on today and it booted up just perfectly and is now doing a parity check.

That's quite odd your issues were the udev system. Glad to hear you got it working.

I have unRAID working fine on my Slackware-Current which is identical to Slackware 13.1 at this time. However, it was initially a Slackware 13.0 system that has been upgraded along the way via upgradepkg. There shouldn't be any residual artifacts upgrading from one to the other instead of doing clean installs.

Maybe the new udev 153 requires some other updated packages? My system is a slackware 13. I had used upgradepkg to update to the udev from 13.1 which is 153. Maybe there are other things I need to update as well. Either way as long as it works that's all I care about.

That's quite odd your issues were the udev system. Glad to hear you got it working.

I have unRAID working fine on my Slackware-Current which is identical to Slackware 13.1 at this time. However, it was initially a Slackware 13.0 system that has been upgraded along the way via upgradepkg. There shouldn't be any residual artifacts upgrading from one to the other instead of doing clean installs.

I started with an old version of unRAID that was built on Slackware 12.0.  When I upgraded to 4.5.4, I had to upgrade the Slackware version to 12.1, then 12.2, and finally to 13.0.  Once everything was running perfect, I decided to wipe the drive and put on the 64-bit version of 13.1.  That also worked.  Could have just been my particular setup though.

I just realized the /mnt/user share is not getting mounted. The full slackware wiki page needs to be updated to whatever is missing. It still talks about version 4.4. Anyone know what is preventing the user share from working? I copied over fusermount and rc.fuse as the wiki says but obviously something else is missing. Thanks for any pointers.

xamindar, which version of Slackware are you trying to use?

If you're running under Slackware 64bit, have a look at this http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5639.0 (unRAID 64bit).

If you're under 32bit, some of the steps listed above are still useful such as:

• ldd /usr/local/sbin/shfs

Odds are, you're missing a library or a symlink to a library. Also you need to make sure that fuse was started [/etc/rc.d/rc.fuse status] before you started the array. If it's not started, stop the array, restart fuse [/etc/rc.d/rc.fuse restart], then start the array.

~~~

Also, the instructions should be revamped quite a bit for Slackware 13.x as some packages are not needed (ifplugd) and some packages are already installed (fuse) and should not be based off the files from unRAID.

I only copy over the following items: /unraid/root, /unraid/usr/local/sbin/, /unraid/etc/samba directories and subdirs, /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, and /etc/rc.d/rc.local files.

The entire package of ifplugd is not needed at all.

The change to /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd doesn't need to be done, modprobe handles things properly if it's already built into the kernel.

The change to the /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog doesn't need to be done, it only turns off the auto-marking every 20 minutes in the log file.

I manage the NTP entries outside of emhttp, so the /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd doesn't need to be done either.