Convert from XFS to BTRFS

I have a server that is currently using XFS and I would like to change over to BTRFS and I have all the data replicated to a second server. I could simply wipe it, change the drives over to BRTFS and copy the data back, it would just take awhile as its 25.5TB. The only other option I can think of is using the unbalance plugin to move data off drives to free up one drive at a time and then convert it, this just seems like it would take awhile as there are seven data drives, four of which are already at 75% full, the array is 41TB in total. I guess there isn't an easier way, right?

• 4 months later...
On 1/12/2018 at 6:18 PM, ashman70 said:

The only other option I can think of is using the unbalance plugin to move data off drives to free up one drive at a time and then convert it...

Hi guys. Im a bit late...

Is it possible to do that? I dont have a second server to store my files temporarily, so moving it around is the best option for me.

2 hours ago, Teixeira said:

Hi guys. Im a bit late...

Is it possible to do that? I dont have a second server to store my files temporarily, so moving it around is the best option for me.

Of course you can move files around, whether with the unBalance plugin or another method. Basically the idea is to move everything off a drive to other drives so it can be reformatted to another filesystem. There is a very long thread pinned at the top of this subforum with lots of discussion on converting from RFS to XFS. Converting from XFS to btrfs is the same just different filesystems.