[Solved] Array devices to cache devices

sevenz

Hello guys, so I made a mistake for putting SSD onto the array instead of cache, now that I have remove it and place it to the cache. This is what is shown. I have googled and tried some stuff but nothing fixed it, so probably I did something wrong.

disk.thumb.png.92ca3ba17d9f458745e0eed5e9d0c58d.png

How do I remove Disk 5? And the cache 2 of Samsung SSD has no Size etc.

What I did:

- I put SSD on disk 5, click the format button, and realised its wrong.

- I removed disk 5, preclear it just using the "clear" button but not preread and postread.

- I put the SSD to cache 2, but I wasnt given a format button.

- Wait for parity check to finish, still nothing. Now you're seeing another parity-check in progress.

Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks!

11 minutes ago, sevenz said:

How do I remove Disk 5?

Unless you want to add an extra disk you need to shrink the array, basically there are two options, do a new config and re-sync parity or write zeros to the drive to remove to maintain parity:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Shrink_array

12 minutes ago, sevenz said:

And the cache 2 of Samsung SSD has no Size etc.

That's normal, it's part of a pool, the pool info is shown on the first line.

Ahh alright, I guess I will go with buying a new drive and replacing it there so I can put more stuff in here.

42 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's normal, it's part of a pool, the pool info is shown on the first line.

Ah I see, the pool reduces the amount of space used? I have 120GB and 500GB cache but the size is 310GB. Is that supposed to be like that?

3 hours ago, sevenz said:

Ah I see, the pool reduces the amount of space used? I have 120GB and 500GB cache but the size is 310GB. Is that supposed to be like that?

Nope, the size is reported incorrectly. You actually have 120GB, since that is the size of your smallest device, and the default setting is RAID1 for redundancy.

31 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Nope, the size is reported incorrectly. You actually have 120GB, since that is the size of your smallest device, and the default setting is RAID1 for redundancy.

Ahh alright got it, thanks for the info. So I can just leave it as it is or should I do something about it?

3 hours ago, sevenz said:

Ahh alright got it, thanks for the info. So I can just leave it as it is or should I do something about it?

You can change the profile, to use total capacity of both there's the single profile, but there will be no redundancy, more info on the available modes here:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=480421

Archived