FATAL: Module bonding not found

Snort

I wanted to write my experience on this, 2 years later!  First off... THANKS for posting this and of course the dialog going back and forth!! 

I can 100% confirm I had quirky things with my flash drive that caused this same issue... Turns out... I also had the same SanDisk Mini Cruiser USB3.0 stick (SDCZ43 32GB version). 

Notes: 

• Dell C2100 Server
  • I was running FreeNAS perfectly fine off this USB drive 1 hour ago.  That has been running for the past 2 years on the same server and USB port.
  • Only 2 USB 2.0 ports TOTAL (located on the back)
  • 2x x5650 CPUs
  • 64GB RAM
  • Latest version on Unraid Stable. 

I first thought my problem was the 10 Gig SFP+ Mezzanine card ( Dell # 1YT6X or JPYNN , which seems to be a rebranded Intel 82599) that was just having issues.  It would come to a login prompt and let me login but it would say IP 169.254.x.x  After digging around more I found the during the boot the same error message: "FATAL: Module bonding not found".  I knew this was something serious when I run lsmod and don't get any modules listed.   Also ethtool didn't provide any information... obviously as nothing was loading. 

I took the advice of @Kamikazejs and tried another USB drive.  I then tried a SanDsik Cruzer Glide 32GB and that didn't work but it was a different problem.  This one said the device is not bootable.  Okay, NP I have plenty of USB sticks.  I then tried a SanDisk 32GB SDCZ430 (newer version USB 3.1) and Wa-lah everything booted!  I noticed right away that the boot came up with many more messages and it recognized my 10G card.  The IP and hostname were correct. 

Thanks for saving a TON of time!