FATAL: Module bonding not found

Snort

I am trying to set up my first Unraid server.  During startup I get this message "FATAL:  Module bonding not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.13-unRAID".  Cannot find device "bond0".  It gives me the IPv4 address: 169.254.174.75.  My router is 198.168.0.1.   Please give me a clue on what to do.   Thanks

Same issue

I have a ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16 board which works great with 6.3.5. Aside from this error.. there are no ethX interfaces in 6.4.. litterally just nothing there..a nd there is no bond0.. seems like its not detecting the NICS perhaps? I reverted back by copying /boot/previous/*  to /boot/.

image.thumb.png.66fe7efa2bcd3206ef6369473b179184.png

I also have a ASROCK EP2C602 board.  I downloaded the version 6.3.5.  It loaded ok, and gave me the IP address of 192.168.0.25, but nothing will load from that address.  It shows up on the router as Tower, but I can't access it.  I am attaching my syslog.txt file

syslog.txt

Edited by Snort
New syslog.txt file
  • 2 weeks later...

Same problem here, same message.  EVGA P55 FTW SLI motherboard with 2x Marvell ethernet adapters built-in.  

The /lib/modules/<ver>/ directory only has some modules.* files in it for configuration, but no actual kernel modules.  Bonding can't load, and lsmod says NO modules are loaded.  I tried manually configuring an IP address on br0 but no good.  The ethernet adapters aren't even being initialized / no drivers are being loaded.  I don't have an eth0 device either.  I'm a new user and would like to try the latest and greatest, but it sounds like I'll need to back down to the stable 6.3.5 version.

I have been suffering from this problem in the past 24hr too. I have a Gigabyte socket AM3 board model GA-970A-D3P with a Realtek network card which I know to be support by unRAID, even so, I get the same result with a Intel Pro 1000 network card which is also supported.

Diagnostics attached. I downloaded the limetech flash drive creator on my Mac and onto a PC, same result.

tower-diagnostics-20180126-1532.zip

Edited by ashman70

Unable to get diagnostics off.  I can save them to /boot/logs but that's not preserved on the USB drive.

Having similar issues with 6.3.5 also..  where the network does load but it's missing critical things like rc.httpd, so apache doesn't start.  From that post I looked at /boot and only see /boot/config and /boot/logs.  From /boot/config I only see .ssh.  Same on both 6.3.5 and 6.4.0.

I'm led to believe that the USB drive isn't mounting, and I'm seeing errors where it's timing out mounting /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID in the bootup sequence.  Sounds like the driver for my USB controller (EVGA P55 FTW motherboard) is getting missed, preventing the USB drive from mounting.

The USB drive is labeled "UNRAID".  I've reformatted with windows with that label, then used the unraid USB creator win32 multiple times with multiple images, including downloading and locally-downloaded images with verified MD5sums that match what's on the DL page.  Seems to be a USB driver issue.

Edited by Kamikazejs
3 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

You can download a program called WinSCP for free which runs on Windows, it has a GUI and you can connect to your unRAID server to get the diagnostic file off to upload it, that is what I used.

I can do that for 6.3.5, where I at least get an ethernet driver, but 6.4.0 doesn't include the sky2 module needed for my marvell ethernet built-in and so I cannot get network running (since it's trying to mount /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID and failing to find it because of a broken or missing USB driver).  So no, I cannot copy off diagnostics from there.

Ok, for what it's worth I have been having exactly the same issues as you for the past 24hrs trying to get a new (old) system going without any luck. The furthest I could get on 6.35 was an 'alleged' IP and I could ping Google.com from the console but I could not browse to that IP on my network at all even though I could ping it.

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

Ok, for what it's worth I have been having exactly the same issues as you for the past 24hrs trying to get a new (old) system going without any luck. The furthest I could get on 6.35 was an 'alleged' IP and I could ping Google.com from the console but I could not browse to that IP on my network at all even though I could ping it.

Yeah, I think we're having the same problem with USB support.  I'm rewriting 6.3.5 on my sandisk cruzer drive and going to copy some diagnostics off and attach them here.  I've tried every USB port on my motherboard and back panel, as well as from an add-in USB3 card which unfortunately my BIOS doesn't support for booting it seems.  Wishing I could just install this to my SSD drive... I have no issues running a normal linux distro on this machine.

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

Are you able to browse to that IP though and bring up the webgui?

No.  rc.httpd is missing, along with a bunch of other stuff, so rc.M cannot start it.  The USB drive isn't getting mounted post-boot.  There is nothing listening and no apache binary TO listen on port 80.

14 minutes ago, Kamikazejs said:

No.  rc.httpd is missing, along with a bunch of other stuff, so rc.M cannot start it.  The USB drive isn't getting mounted post-boot.  There is nothing listening and no apache binary TO listen on port 80.

unRAID doesn't use rc.httpd, and no way USB drivers are missing.  Not sure wtf is going on.  Please update to 6.4.1-rc1.

Also make sure you're using latest version of USB Creator tool, though that doesn't explain anything.

I've been using the USB creator tool.  This time I tried the text-based instructions, manually formatted it as UNRAID (fat32), then extracted the 6.4.0 zip directly to it and ran the make-bootable.bat script as administrator.  No difference.

I tried 6.4.1RC1 this morning with exactly the same results this morning but I'll try it again.