FATAL: Module bonding not found

Snort

21 minutes ago, limetech said:

Warning: onboard USB is squirrely and controllers lie about isolation, that is, mostly it doesn't work (that's my experience).

image.png

I like the description :)

But it's strange that unRAID still was able to start (with a strange IP and therefore only accessible from the host itself) and the USB controller didn't show up in the VM management. As I understand this, if unRAID flash device would have been in the same controller group I've tried to pass through, then this should not have been possible anymore?  Or is this a protection to prevent this scenario? I will later try it again with the front panel USB connectors..

Hey Gang -

New install here on a SuperMicro board, same error message as reported in this thread. 

I'm using the latest UnRaid build, 6.4.1 and have tried several USB sticks - no joy.

I changed various settings in the BIOS (Legacy OpROM to UEFI Only, various USB settings also) but no change.   Only way I got it to work was to install 6.3.5 instead.

Does this mean I am stuck with regards to being able to upgrade to future versions of the software?   

Thanks

13 minutes ago, JPrez said:

Hey Gang -

New install here on a SuperMicro board, same error message as reported in this thread. 

I'm using the latest UnRaid build, 6.4.1 and have tried several USB sticks - no joy.

I changed various settings in the BIOS (Legacy OpROM to UEFI Only, various USB settings also) but no change.   Only way I got it to work was to install 6.3.5 instead.

Does this mean I am stuck with regards to being able to upgrade to future versions of the software?   

Thanks

Are you getting the same error as the original poster?   If not probably better to start your own thread.

I know I use a Supermicro motherboard without any issues, as does @aptalca and undoubtedly others as it's a popular server motherboard.   Might be useful to post some more info like mobo model etc.

13 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Are you getting the same error as the original poster?   If not probably better to start your own thread.

I know I use a Supermicro motherboard without any issues, as does @aptalca and undoubtedly others as it's a popular server motherboard.   Might be useful to post some more info like mobo model etc.

Yes, same error as original poster.

Using a SuperMicro X10SL7-F  with BIOS 3.0a and an Intel Xeon E31276 CPU, also using a SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 flash drive.

15 minutes ago, JPrez said:

Yes, same error as original poster.

Using a SuperMicro X10SL7-F  with BIOS 3.0a and an Intel Xeon E31276 CPU, also using a SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 flash drive.

You should be able to login via the console (hook up monitor & keyboard).  If so please type this command:

diagnostics

This will create a diagnostics.zip file on your flash in the 'logs' directory.  Next you can plug your usb flash into PC and get the file.  Sorry for the hassle, but if you don't mind it may prove useful.

3 minutes ago, limetech said:

You should be able to login via the console (hook up monitor & keyboard).  If so please type this command:

diagnostics

This will create a diagnostics.zip file on your flash in the 'logs' directory.  Next you can plug your usb flash into PC and get the file.  Sorry for the hassle, but if you don't mind it may prove useful.

Huh, actually if your usb flash device is not mounting this won't work.

Instead please capture output of these commands:

v /dev/disk/by-label
cat /proc/partitions

If you are using something like putty, this will produce alot of output but would be most valuable:

cat /var/log/syslog

21 minutes ago, limetech said:

diagnostics

Thanks for the reply, for grins and giggles decided to go to my local Staples store and buy another USB flash drive...a PNY brand.   Thought I'd try it again, working like a champ now and just registered for my trial key.   Very strange but so far it seems to like the PNY brand.

4 minutes ago, JPrez said:

Thanks for the reply, for grins and giggles decided to go to my local Staples store and buy another USB flash drive...a PNY brand.   Thought I'd try it again, working like a champ now and just registered for my trial key.   Very strange but so far it seems to like the PNY brand.

Glad you got it working!  If you have some time later to give the other usb flash another try and then capture the syslog we'd appreciate it.  This is a bit of a nagging problem we haven't been able to reproduce.  Also using SanDisk ultra 16GB usb3 device with supermicro m/b and never any issue.

Do we know what the cause of this is? I have recently upgraded my entire server and wanted to try UnRaid over FreeNAS that I have been using for years, however, this issue is really frustrating me. I have tried 3 different USB drives I have lying around and none of them have seemed to work. Unfortunately, I am attempting to boot for the first time so I do not have any way of getting a config file of any sort. I am also running an ASRock 602 mobo. 

46 minutes ago, DaWord2011 said:

Do we know what the cause of this is? I have recently upgraded my entire server and wanted to try UnRaid over FreeNAS that I have been using for years, however, this issue is really frustrating me. I have tried 3 different USB drives I have lying around and none of them have seemed to work. Unfortunately, I am attempting to boot for the first time so I do not have any way of getting a config file of any sort. I am also running an ASRock 602 mobo. 

I would try other USB ports on the motherboard and other USB drives.  I eventually had good luck with this guy:  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Drive-MUF-16BA-AM/dp/B013CCPFAW  

Also used this cable:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IV6S9S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also see limetech's suggestions earlier in this thread for trying different USB boot modes (Auto, USB-Floppy, USB-HDD, uefi or legacy, etc.)

Edited by Kamikazejs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to login to my server for the past 2 days with the same thumb drive 16GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive and it keeps giving me the error. In the end, I switch to Toshiba 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and my server manage to login! Yay, thanks for the help. I guess if USB 3.0 flash drive does not work, we have to give USB 2.0 flash drive a chance. Hope this will work for you!

• 1 month later...

Getting the same error using Silicon Power Blaze B20 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Not works even if I plug it into USB 2.0 port.

Tried to boot via microSD + CardReader, it worked, but CardReader's GUID blacklisted.

Why it doesn't fixed within 5 months? Paid premium software should get fixes faster.

Edited by IGHOR
4 hours ago, IGHOR said:

Getting the same error using Silicon Power Blaze B20 16 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

Try a USB 2.0 flash device instead. See the post immediately above yours:

On 3/16/2018 at 6:16 PM, azl-128 said:

In the end, I switch to Toshiba 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and my server manage to login! Yay

34 minutes ago, IGHOR said:

My question was not how to solve it, but why it wasn't fixed within 5 months.

I think probably because not all hardware combinations are affected. The ones that more closely adhere to the standards likely have more chance of working. Most people don't get hung up on the why but just choose a solution that works. It isn't as though the speed difference matters in practice.

1 minute ago, John_M said:

I think probably because not all hardware combinations are affected. The ones that more closely adhere to the standards likely have more chance of working. Most people don't get hung up on the why but just choose a solution that works. It isn't as though the speed difference matters in practice.

I have tried USB 3.0 HDD, and USB 3.0 Card reader, same error. Only USB 2.0 CardReader works, but looks like all card readers blacklisted.

Looks like it issue with any USB 3.0 drive even if BIOS in USB 2.0 mode.

6 minutes ago, John_M said:

Some aren't but most are because their GUID is not unique. If you find one that has a unique GUID you can use it. But why bother when a standard USB 2.0 flash drive is cheaper?

If I put USB 2.0 card reader with not unique GUID, it works and I see error in web interface that it blacklisted.

None of USB 3.0 disks detected by linux itself, so it not GUID problem. All my USB 3.0 drives GUID are unique.

2 minutes ago, IGHOR said:

None of USB 3.0 disks detected by linux itself, so it not GUID problem.

Some USB 3.0 devices are detected by Linux, but not all. That's not a GUID problem, but a standards problem.

Card reader manufacturers are sloppy. Think what GUID means: Globally Unique IDentifier. The identifiers they are using are not globally unique. Hence they are blacklisted,  that's intentional since the licence key is tied to the GUID.

6 minutes ago, IGHOR said:

All my USB 3.0 drives GUID are unique.

I'm sure they are if they are reputable brands. Therefore they won't be blacklisted. All my USB 2.0 drives have unique GUIDs too.

Just now, John_M said:

Some USB 3.0 devices are detected by Linux, but not all. That's not a GUID problem, but a standards problem.

Card reader manufacturers are sloppy. Think what GUID means: Globally Unique IDentifier. The identifiers they are using are not globally unique. Hence they are blacklisted,  that's intentional since the licence key is tied to the GUID.

I'm sure they are if they are reputable brands. Therefore they won't be blacklisted. All my USB 2.0 drives have unique GUIDs too.

I mean that non unique GUID flash drive boots normally, it can see network adapter and I can login on web UI. I know that it is blacklisted from web message.

On the USB 3.0 devices it just won't see filesystem and won't load drivers, it looks like two different problems blacklisted and USB 3.0 missing drivers, not just GUID.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, IGHOR said:

My question was not how to solve it, but why it wasn't fixed within 5 months.

Believe me, if we could fix, we would.

On 5/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, IGHOR said:

I have tried USB 3.0 HDD, and USB 3.0 Card reader, same error. Only USB 2.0 CardReader works, but looks like all card readers blacklisted.

Looks like it issue with any USB 3.0 drive even if BIOS in USB 2.0 mode.

Have you tried plugging your USB3.0 flash device into all motherboard USB ports?

Have you tried a USB2.0 flash device?

What is your motherboard model?  Also, have you verified it has been updated with the latest bios available?

Something else that would be helpful: go ahead and boot off your card reader.  Once server is booted, hot plug one of your USB3.0 flash devices.  Wait a minute and the capture diagnostics.zip (Tools/Diagnostics).  This will tell us if the device is recognized at all.

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

Believe me, if we could fix, we would.

Have you tried plugging your USB3.0 flash device into all motherboard USB ports?

Have you tried a USB2.0 flash device?

What is your motherboard model?  Also, have you verified it has been updated with the latest bios available?

Something else that would be helpful: go ahead and boot off your card reader.  Once server is booted, hot plug one of your USB3.0 flash devices.  Wait a minute and the capture diagnostics.zip (Tools/Diagnostics).  This will tell us if the device is recognized at all.

I don't think that motherboard model depends on it because if I put USB 2.0 Card reader + microsd it works just fine, I can login to web interface and see there message that usb device is blacklisted.

If I put USB 3.0 device, it boots up, shows error from first message of this thread, it allows me to login via root to terminal, I can see everything but none of ethernet devices works. I can run commands or copy any file you ask me just tell me which one and I'll send to you.