Did I goof creating a static IP?

Admittedly, I probably did this the wrong way.  I just built a test server with unraid and noticed it had DHCP and IP listed in the web front-end.  Since I thought it might be better to use a static IP I just switched "Obtain an IP" to NO and then updated the IP Address to the one I wanted the server to be on.  I clicked APPLY and the web front-end locked up.  I then read some on the forum and it appears this is typically done by updating the config/Network file on the USB drive in Linux (which I don't know how to do anyway, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Linux). 

However, I shut the server down using the power switch and then brought the server back up and it appears the static IP got written somewhere because it seems to work (server is on the new IP and it is reflected in the web front-end).  My question is, I did do this incorrectly...right?  Since it seems to work is there anything else I should be doing to correct anything?  When I finish my final server I would like to have it on a static IP and would like to know how to do this the "right" way.

As soon as you 'apply' the new settings, your web GUI would be expected to lock up because you have set new IP#.  It probably wasn't necessary to reboot. 

Be sure to set all the other parameters (most likely these values):

Netmask:255.255.255.0

Gateway:(your router's gateway IP)

DNS Server :(typically same router's gateway)

Admittedly, I probably did this the wrong way.  I just built a test server with unraid and noticed it had DHCP and IP listed in the web front-end.  Since I thought it might be better to use a static IP I just switched "Obtain an IP" to NO and then updated the IP Address to the one I wanted the server to be on.  I clicked APPLY and the web front-end locked up.  I then read some on the forum and it appears this is typically done by updating the config/Network file on the USB drive in Linux (which I don't know how to do anyway, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Linux). 

However, I shut the server down using the power switch and then brought the server back up and it appears the static IP got written somewhere because it seems to work (server is on the new IP and it is reflected in the web front-end).  My question is, I did do this incorrectly...right?  Since it seems to work is there anything else I should be doing to correct anything?  When I finish my final server I would like to have it on a static IP and would like to know how to do this the "right" way.

Using the web browser interface to change the IP-address works fine for me.  The browser "locked up" when you clicked apply because when you did, it updated the server's IP-address immediately and your browser session became invalid since the browser was pointing to the old IP-address you had set on the unRAID box.  Next time just reload/refresh your browser session whenever you change the IP-address and all should be well again.